Author Topic: British Indian 2go Pillau rice  (Read 24571 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: British Indian 2go Pillau rice
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 02:30 AM »
I suppose it's a love/hate thing with Shan Pillau biryani mix. Personally I'm in the "love" section. Many of our customers have commented on how much they prefer the "new improved rice".

I'm not doubting how good your rice might taste. It's only that it doesn't sound like BIR pilau rice as I know it. You may have said before, but how much exposure have you had, if any, to curry houses (BIRs) actually in the UK? Probably more than I have, for all I know!

I'm not up for question or debate George. As I stated in my original post "This is how we do our rice." If you don't like the look/sound iof it..........don't try it.....simple 8)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:12 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with using a different technique to your regular old BIR. As it is Mick has a restaurant and we don't. So his way of doing things is just as "professional" :)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I'm not up for question or debate George.

Perhaps a (any) forum isn't the right place for you, then. I thought the whole point is based on debate.

Given you won't answer my question, I rest my case.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 01:33 PM »
I'm not up for question or debate George.

Perhaps a (any) forum isn't the right place for you, then. I thought the whole point is based on debate.

Given you won't answer my question, I rest my case.
you are not having a debate George! you are baiting, nice 1 ;)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 02:48 PM »

I'm not into fishing so I'm not sure what you mean. Pray tell me what's wrong with any of the sentences in my post which caused Aussie Mick to say he wouldn't answer questions, with a sort of take-it-or-leave-it attitude.

1. "I'm not doubting how good your rice might taste".

What's wrong with that?

2."It's only that it doesn't sound like BIR pilau rice as I know it."

What's wrong with that? I'm sure a lot or people here must agree with me that pukka BIR pilau rice is essentially pure white, with bright colours (but not brown).

3. "You may have said before, but how much exposure have you had, if any, to curry houses (BIRs) actually in the UK? Probably more than I have, for all I know!"

What's wrong with that?

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 03:01 PM »

I'm not into fishing so I'm not sure what you mean. Pray tell me what's wrong with any of the sentences in my post which caused Aussie Mick to say he wouldn't answer questions, with a sort of take-it-or-leave-it attitude.

1. "I'm not doubting how good your rice might taste".

What's wrong with that?

2."It's only that it doesn't sound like BIR pilau rice as I know it."

What's wrong with that? I'm sure a lot or people here must agree with me that pukka BIR pilau rice is essentially pure white, with bright colours (but not brown).

3. "You may have said before, but how much exposure have you had, if any, to curry houses (BIRs) actually in the UK? Probably more than I have, for all I know!"

What's wrong with that?
George i am sorry, if you really don't know. I am not the one to tell you, because you would not understand.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 03:02 PM »

I'm sure a lot or people here must agree with me that pukka BIR pilau rice is essentially pure white, with bright colours (but not brown).

Well at dire risk of backlash here, I do not agree with this bit   ;)  MANY BIR in my area of South London, the infamous Brick Lane  etc etc serve Pilau with overall yellow colouring in addition to the varied coloured flecks which may or may not be present.   - An additional spanner will not delay the works too much I hope.  :o

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 03:02 PM »
George, you /know/ that you are being intentionally provocative, and you know that there is nothing you can do about it : it is just in your nature.  But do you have any /evidence/ that Aussie Mick's rice is brown rather than pure white with flecks of intense colour ?  From my experience with Shan Pulao mix I would expect it to be a rather murky brown, but unless/until Mick posts some pictures neither of us can be sure.  So why not give Mick the benefit of the doubt and just ask him nicely "Could you post some pictures of your rice, please, Mick ?  I'd like to see how it compares with my mental model of perfect BIR rice.".  If you do that, no-one will take offence, and we will all benefit.

** Phil.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 03:10 PM »
OK George  ::)

By exposure, if you mean watching chefs cook, I have only seen videos that kind folk post on here ie Chewy, CBM and others who take the time and trouble to do it.

I left UK in 1996. Before that I used to have a curry once or twice a week like a lot of people do. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I mainly frequented Manchesters curry mile which was completely different to suburban eateries. Great tandoori food, but IMHO, you could get a better "BIR" curry in the 'burbs.

BTW, the amount of rice that we cook, and the tiny proportion of the Shan product (one packet to about 40 trays of rice) we use leaves the rice white, apart from the coloured bits. When I get time I will take a picture and post it. 9 or rather get the kids to post it) :D

We just feel that the Shan gives it a little something extra without being too overpowering. 8)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Looks like 4 of us answered at the same time.

Oh, and George, I wasn't avoiding any questions, I was in a rush this morning to get to my shop as I'm sure you can appreciate Friday is a pretty hectic day.  8)

I just felt a brief answer was called for though. As I said, if you're happy with your current rice recipe, stick with it mate. I promised that I would share all that I have learned since starting the shop, and I will. 8)

©2024 Curry Recipes