Author Topic: British Indian 2go Pillau rice  (Read 24566 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: British Indian 2go Pillau rice
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 06:31 PM »
BTW Rubydoo

Before opening the shop I always made C2go rice at home in the pressure cooker, unwashed just as Julians book instructed and it was perfect everytime.

I made a batch at the shop for Raj to try and he wouldn't even try a teaspoonful because it hadn't been washed. He agreed that it looked/smelt very good, but absolutely refused to put any of it into his body lol.

This is when he showed me this version, and I have got to say, it is really, really good. It really is amazing how much crap comes out of the rice when you wash it thoroughly.

hahahah  -just for you I will give it a wash next time  but will be careful to take into account that washing adds moisture no matter how long you drain ( ok the oz sun for a few hours may be ok )  so volumes of added water need to be adjusted if using absorption method.   ;D

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Mate, if you're happy bollox to the washing.

Like I said, I am sharing all info that I am learning....that's all 8)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Mate, if you're happy bollox to the washing.

Like I said, I am sharing all info that I am learning....that's all 8)

Understood, agreed and appreciated.  ;)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 09:08 PM »
And yes Rubydoo, I also remember yellow rice. Many places boiled their rice in water that contained turmeric to give it an overall yellow colour. raj suggested that I should do this, but I said no. lol.

We make Yellow Rice Mick it goes down a storm

best, Rich

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 09:32 PM »
I left UK in 1996. Before that I used to have a curry once or twice a week like a lot of people do. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Many thanks for clarifying that. As I said, you probably mentioned it before, but I didn't remember. In my mind it means you know what you're doing, and good luck to you. If you'd never visited the UK, it could be quite a different story.

I will get hold of some of that spice mix and give your pilau rice recipe a try. I also look forward to trying your Chef's recipe for naan bread, using yoghurt.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37 PM »
I think that what triggered George and I to believe that it might be off-white, or even "murky brown" was the original proportions that you posted

Yes, you're right, so I'm sorry for any confusion or perceived provocation. The only time I've been served brown-ish rice in an Indian restaurant was in the USA and it remains some of the worst Indian food I've ever eaten out, second only to some of my failures at home. Perhaps I was unlucky. The USA is a big place and it's now a long time ago.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Thank you for you posts Mick.

My rice default colour is yellow, with royal cumin and a few other whole spices.
Sharwoods used to do it that way in the 80's  :) along side my Sharwoods Vindaloo
in its little tray  :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:30 AM by Graeme »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 11:14 PM »
Oh! my rice default colour is yellow, with royal cumin and a few other whole spices.
Not knowing what royal cumin is, and not wanting to show my ignorance, I did a quick web search and came up with this interesting and informative page.

** Phil.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 05:00 AM »
I think that what triggered George and I to believe that it might be off-white, or even "murky brown" was the original proportions that you posted

Yes, you're right, so I'm sorry for any confusion or perceived provocation. The only time I've been served brown-ish rice in an Indian restaurant was in the USA and it remains some of the worst Indian food I've ever eaten out, second only to some of my failures at home. Perhaps I was unlucky. The USA is a big place and it's now a long time ago.

Not a problem fellas.

I am just wanting to give back something to this wonderful site. I have learned so much from being on here, and now i am in the position to give something back. I will get Raj's seekh kebab recipe on next week. (not BIR) Indian, but very nice all the same. Some people will prefer them, others won't. I don't want to argue or fall out about authenticity. I just want to share knowledge. 8)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Hi
Mick, thank you for your postings. I and others look forward to more.
Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes