Author Topic: British Indian 2go Pillau rice  (Read 24727 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: British Indian 2go Pillau rice
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 09:28 AM »
My rice didn't turn out exactly like yours, Mick. Yours looks much, much better than my effort, but it was absolutely delicious and is now my No.1 recipe for pilau. I didn't have any of the Shan mix powder, so I substituted Chaat Masala and it worked OK for me. Thanks for posting the recipe and photo! :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 09:50 AM »
BTW, i never did get around to posting a picture of our rice. Tis is it. I was a batch of around 30 portions of rice. There was a pack and a half of Shan pillau biryani mixed in, along with dry spices and rose water flavoured colouring. Very nice indeed. 8)

Wow - your rice looks fabulous. My original fears that the biryani mix could turn the rice a bit brown were not justified. This now looks like a must-try recipe. It just goes to show the value in posting a photo. Thanks again.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Am I right in thinking that the Shan Biryani mix is put into the rice raw, after the rice has been cooked? That seems odd.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Am I right in thinking that the Shan Biryani mix is put into the rice raw, after the rice has been cooked? That seems odd.
It would seem so, from the write-up.  My spices go in before everything, and are cooked for five minutes in ghee before the washed and dried rice is added, and then the whole is fried for a further two minutes before the boiling water and salt are added.

** Phil.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Yes fellas, we wash and cooke the rice, strai it, then transfer into a large container.

We then fry up a tarka of oil, ghee, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, (odd I know to use both, but this is what we do), cardamoms, cassia bark, cloves and Indian bay leaves.

We sprinkle Shan pillau biryani mix into the hot rice, then pour in the hot spice mix. squirt in the food colouring, wait a minute or two then mix it up. Easy!!! 8)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 02:35 PM »
My rice didn't turn out exactly like yours, Mick. Yours looks much, much better than my effort, but it was absolutely delicious and is now my No.1 recipe for pilau. I didn't have any of the Shan mix powder, so I substituted Chaat Masala and it worked OK for me. Thanks for posting the recipe and photo! :)

You're too modest Naga.

I've seen the photo, and your effort looks bang on!

Good old Chaat masala, we use it on everything. Raj sprinkles it onto chips................wow, they taste fantastic. With seekh kebabs he rolls them in cream and sprinkles on the magic powder. Fan bloody tastic. 8)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2013, 02:37 PM »
BTW, i never did get around to posting a picture of our rice. Tis is it. I was a batch of around 30 portions of rice. There was a pack and a half of Shan pillau biryani mixed in, along with dry spices and rose water flavoured colouring. Very nice indeed. 8)

Wow - your rice looks fabulous. My original fears that the biryani mix could turn the rice a bit brown were not justified. This now looks like a must-try recipe. It just goes to show the value in posting a photo. Thanks again.

Thanks George. i hope you enjoy it. and yes, a picture speaks a 1000 words eh? it's just so time consuming for me as I'm not very computer literate. i normally have to bribe one of the kids to do the picture transfer stuff. lol.

©2024 Curry Recipes