Author Topic: Renus - Milton Road, Cambridge  (Read 4384 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Renus - Milton Road, Cambridge
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:19 PM »
Take-away only.
At the southern end of the Milton Road
01223 313233 / 319999
http://renus.co.uk/

Flavour-wise, this is not the best takeaway in Cambridge, but they are BY FAR the most reliable one in my opinion. The prices are quite acceptable, the quantities are the BEST in Cambridge. Their naans are simply huge. The staff is super friendly. The owner is incredibly friendly and he never missed anything in an order and would always offer extras. Occasionally he would play the trick of "I lost your visa number, could you spell it again" after 20 mins from placing the order to justify the fact that he was going to be starting the food only then (probably too busy or short-staffed). I also find him it to be the freshest take-away, but one downside was that different curries tasted all almost very similar, though you can ask for bazillion of chilies and they will hear you (sometimes too well.) -- this is could very easily be the best takeaway in Cambridge

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Renus - Milton Road, Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Take-away only.
At the southern end of the Milton Road
01223 313233 / 319999
http://renus.co.uk/

Flavour-wise, this is not the best takeaway in Cambridge, but they are BY FAR the most reliable one in my opinion. The prices are quite acceptable, the quantities are the BEST in Cambridge. Their naans are simply huge. The staff is super friendly. The owner is incredibly friendly and he never missed anything in an order and would always offer extras. Occasionally he would play the trick of "I lost your visa number, could you spell it again" after 20 mins from placing the order to justify the fact that he was going to be starting the food only then (probably too busy or short-staffed). I also find him it to be the freshest take-away, but one downside was that different curries tasted all almost very similar, though you can ask for bazillion of chilies and they will hear you (sometimes too well.) -- this is could very easily be the best takeaway in Cambridge

The TA nearest to me also does different currys that are remarkable similar.  They slipped up one night and sent me a chicken madras and a bhuna that were obviously identical.  Phoned them up but they reckoned there were no onions in the madras.  Funny as there was loads in it.  More often though I think its the use of jar pastes that accounts for why dishes that look different can taste quite similar.

Rob  :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22 PM »
The TA nearest to me also does different currys that are remarkable similar.  They slipped up one night and sent me a chicken madras and a bhuna that were obviously identical.  Phoned them up but they reckoned there were no onions in the madras.  Funny as there was loads in it.  More often though I think its the use of jar pastes that accounts for why dishes that look different can taste quite similar.

Rob  :)

Very true Rob. I should notice though that none of the takeaways or BIR restaurants never tasted like they had been made out of jarred content. However, I should agree with you.

I'm not big into Madras, but the difference between a madras, a jalfrezi or a bombay potatoes was peppers and potatoes. The underlying flavour was more often than note the same.

I remind now they used to add leek on top of the curry which added a very good flavour and improved looks too

Offline Kelsier Luthadel

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:32 PM »
I work on the business park just off Milton Road, why have I never heard of this place? Shame on me!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 01:39 PM »
I work on the business park just off Milton Road, why have I never heard of this place? Shame on me!

I worked on the science park which is a minute away from you and where I always ordered the from (I used to stay all day in the office, just because we had plenty of mod cons to keep me entertained!)

Also, seeing as you are in Cambridge, see my other note about my favorite restaurant (not takeaway!) pipasha.

For renus, tell them you come from "John from Citrix/Science Park", and if he hasn't forgotten of me (I doubt, since I ordered more than 50 meals from him in the last year) he will treat you nice. :)

Offline Kelsier Luthadel

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Also, seeing as you are in Cambridge, see my other note about my favorite restaurant (not takeaway!) pipasha.

For renus, tell them you come from "John from Citrix/Science Park", and if he hasn't forgotten of me (I doubt, since I ordered more than 50 meals from him in the last year) he will treat you nice. :)

My favourite restautant(well pub) is the wrestlers, best Thai food I have ever encountered.

I know Citrix, and you probably know Autonomy HP where I work for my sins. I'll mention you when I go for a take out, thanks!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 01:52 PM »

My favourite restautant(well pub) is the wrestlers, best Thai food I have ever encountered.

I know Citrix, and you probably know Autonomy HP where I work for my sins. I'll mention you when I go for a take out, thanks!

Oh, I know wrestlers. A number of people at Citrix used to go there on Wednesdays, they also claimed it was the best thai food in Cambridge, but I've always walked further down to pipasha myself. If wrestlers had been serving the last time I was around, I wouldn't have sprained my ankle, as we arrived a bit too late and they didn't serve food then, so I called pipasha and they were still serving, we kept walking and bang... nearly broke my foot, but the guys at pipasha were massively helpful and made sure I felt well.

btw, no need to say my name to get a good service from renus, but it may help just to start. He doesn't work lunch time, so aim your orders for 6 plus :)

©2024 Curry Recipes