Author Topic: ginger and garlic puree with seasoned oil?  (Read 4957 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
ginger and garlic puree with seasoned oil?
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:40 PM »
I was wondering if you would use seasoned oil to make your ginger and garlic puree mix or if there is any reason not to do so :-)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ginger and garlic puree with seasoned oil?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I was wondering if you would use seasoned oil to make your ginger and garlic puree mix or if there is any reason not to do so :-)

Personally I do not think it a good idea as it will potentially add a flavour to a dish that the paste is used in that you do not want. A mild and very lightly spiced dish for example. Any dish that benefits from seasoned oil will get it anyway  by using the seasoned oil at the start.

I suppose the other side of the coin may well be that the quantity used in a tbs of paste would be so minimal so as not to be noticeable.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I saw somewhere (possibly here) a method of preparing g/g paste by heating the oil in a pan, adding turmeric (fry for 30 secs), then the garlic and ginger, heating through for a bit, then blending to a paste after cooling.

In terms of flavour and the improvement to your curries, this was claimed to punch g/g paste beyond the dense, cloying boundaries of Earth's troposphere and up through the stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere and towards the exosphere, and, possibly space itself.

Actually, I made that bit up, but whoever recommended it did so with much enthusiasm.

It's something I plan to try, as I'm a big fan of turmeric and love the smell it makes when it hits hot oil. 

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:26 PM »
I saw somewhere (possibly here) a method of preparing g/g paste by heating the oil in a pan, adding turmeric (fry for 30 secs), then the garlic and ginger, heating through for a bit, then blending to a paste after cooling.

Think it might be PanPot's Ashoka Garlic/Ginger Paste method here.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 03:18 AM »
Thanks guys. After this post, I bought the curry 2 go ebook. I'm reading it now and he seems to suggest the use. However, it's a bit of a recursive chicken and egg problem, as his seasoned oil requires the frying of several bhajis which requires seasoned oil, which requires g&g.. I guess you get it! :)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:04 AM »
Thanks guys. After this post, I bought the curry 2 go ebook. I'm reading it now and he seems to suggest the use. However, it's a bit of a recursive chicken and egg problem, as his seasoned oil requires the frying of several bhajis which requires seasoned oil, which requires g&g.. I guess you get it! :)

Haven't got the book in front of me but is that quite right?  Yes you make the seasoned oil by frying bhajis ( and very nice they ere too ) but you do not use seasoned oil to fry the bhajis at first. Just use plain sunflower or veg oil. Once you have seasoned oil you can use it time and again for the bhajis as the flavour will get more intense. Just top up with fresh.  Haven't had any go rancid yet. Also the g and g paste that goes to make a vat of bhaji mix is so minimal you would not notice that the oil was seasoned.. Hope this helps.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Thanks. What I meant is, you need the "seasoned oil" for making the g&g paste. Then to make the oil, you need the bhajis. The bhajis require g&g paste. See where things go ?

Anyways, I know there is ways around this and no need to complicate :) thanks for clarifying though!

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Thanks. What I meant is, you need the "seasoned oil" for making the g&g paste. Then to make the oil, you need the bhajis. The bhajis require g&g paste. See where things go ?

Anyways, I know there is ways around this and no need to complicate :) thanks for clarifying though!
Sorry but you have lost me because you do NoT need seasoned oil to make the g & g paste, not does Julian say that you do in the book.   ;D

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Not sure if making g/g paste with seasoned oil would make a lot of difference. Julian uses it in his currys (and base).  So, following his recipes you will generally be adding g/g paste to hot seasoned oil in the pan when you start a dish anyway.  I love the stuff, but now limit its use to the base.  Does get used in some restaurant/TA currys.  If you have not seen them already, check out Julians manzil vids.  Discussed here with link to one of the vids:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8676.msg77094.html#msg77094

Rob  :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 12:32 AM »

Sorry but you have lost me because you do NoT need seasoned oil to make the g & g paste, not does Julian say that you do in the book.   ;D

Maybe it's my (mis)interpretation of an excerpt in page 15 on the PDF or if you printed it it, see page 13. There is this excerpt:

Here are some uses for seasoned oil:

Nearly    all     curries,     pilau     rice,     marinades,     and     pre-?‐cooking     chicken     and     lamb, garlic/ginger     paste.   

Thanks getonthegarabi, the video looks pretty good and I didn't see that one before. I wonder how many more videos have I missed so far?

©2024 Curry Recipes