Author Topic: Base Gravy Survey  (Read 1970 times)

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Base Gravy Survey
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Ok, I've tried a few gravys so far - c2go one, one with some creamed coconut, and CAs base.

So far, I would say CAs base has produced my best dishes. Next one I will try is JerryMs base (where he said he didn't think he could improve it anymore.

So my survey if for the more experienced amoung you.

What are your top 3 bases, and in which order (if it is possible to rate then in this way!)?

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Gravy Survey
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:46 AM »
I've only made 4 different bases since I joined this forum: Abdul Mohed's Enhanced, CA's, CT's and the Kushi Balti.

I definitely won't make the Kushi Balti base again as it just didn't taste "right" for me. Having said that, I used the gravy left over from cooking Kushi chicken to make South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken the other night and it was absolutely delicious! I'm putting that down, not just to the ingredients and cooking method, but also to the depths of flavour left in the cooking liquor.

I can't really make any distinction in terms of rank between the other 3 bases as they are all good. I would say that CA's and CT's are milder then Abdul Mohed's Enhanced, but they all make really good curries.

I'm currently in the middle of using up CT's base and I'm going to try the Zaal base after that.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 09:12 AM »
I've tried so many bases over the last 30-odd years that I've lost count (though admittedly 30-odd years ago the base concept was not so widely disseminated), but in recent times the ones I regularly make and enjoy good results with are (in no particular order):

Zaal/Little India, CA, CT, C2G, Taz.

I say "no particular order" because these days I tend to borrow a little of what I know to work from each, plus a few tweaks of my own, to make a base that suits my predilection for the hot and spicy. I'm sure that many of you do the same.

But as I've mentioned before, I sometimes go back to what I like to think of as the 'Ur' base, which is simply onions, garlic, ginger and minimal spicing to create a 'neutral' canvas upon which to wreak artistic havoc.

Damn... What a load of crap I talk sometimes... None of that really helps, does it?

Perhaps I should think about canning the heavy morning drinking...  ;D

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:24 PM »
What are the thoughts on CBM's base? They seem to put a lot of coconut and carnation milk in. Does the coconut tone down the heat in the final curry? What other effects does it have?

I love carnation milk with strawberries, its also popular here (manchester/tameside) in general. Think I might add some to chewys base

©2024 Curry Recipes