Author Topic: Pre-cooking Chicken  (Read 2716 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Pre-cooking Chicken
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:40 AM »
I asked the question in another thread about the subject matter.

FWIW I have always pre-cooked as I got the impression when I started out recently that this needed to be done.

Now that is obviously not the case and is more of a personal preference.

When I see a method for pre-cooking it always asks to cook the chicken until (at least) just done.

Why is it necessary to fully cook the chicken when it is getting thrown in a subsequent curry and cooked/warmed again?

To avoid overcooking would it not make more sense to partially cook the chicken?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-cooking Chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:21 AM »
To avoid overcooking would it not make more sense to partially cook the chicken?

Yes, which is what I do.  But it carries major risks -- you will have raised the temperature of the inner part to the point where any bacteria present are multiplying like crazy, and then you are going to store the meat until you need it.  This is, in general, Not a Good Idea.  I do it because I am aware of the risks : I don't recommend it to others.

** Phil.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 11:38 AM »
I will not partially cook chicken, because imho the center temperature is i good breeding ground for bacteria.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:28 PM »
As usual good advice that I hadn't properly considered.

Would this bacteria (if under-cooked) still be a threat if you quickly chilled then froze the chicken?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:01 PM »
As usual good advice that I hadn't properly considered.  Would this bacteria (if under-cooked) still be a threat if you quickly chilled then froze the chicken?

If they were present in the first place, then yes; neither chilling nor freezing will kill them, and they will "re-awaken" and continue multiplying when you thaw the chicken for re-use.  This is basically why one is advised never to re-freeze defrosted previously frozen food.  But of course the bacteria are not necessarily present in sufficient quantities to pose a risk, which is why (for foods the source of which I know) I am personally willing to take that risk.  Also I don't sell the food I cook : if I did, I would have to be a great deal more conservative in my approach.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 06:33 AM »
As usual good advice that I hadn't properly considered.  Would this bacteria (if under-cooked) still be a threat if you quickly chilled then froze the chicken?

If they were present in the first place, then yes; neither chilling nor freezing will kill them, and they will "re-awaken" and continue multiplying when you thaw the chicken for re-use.  This is basically why one is advised never to re-freeze defrosted previously frozen food.  But of course the bacteria are not necessarily present in sufficient quantities to pose a risk, which is why (for foods the source of which I know) I am personally willing to take that risk.  Also I don't sell the food I cook : if I did, I would have to be a great deal more conservative in my approach.

Thanks Phil.

Offline asimcat

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:35 PM »
Another reason for not refreezing food is the loss of flavour , particularly if not frozen quickly.Fast freeze on the freezer helps but it is not as quick as a commercial set up.
Once food is cooked through all the bacteria are killed (Altho some bugs produce toxins). So hot food is ok , cold meat is the risk.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Once food is cooked through all the bacteria are killed (Altho some bugs produce toxins). So hot food is ok, cold meat is the risk.

Perfectly true, provided that the food is cooked through.  The problem with part pre-cooking chicken is that one is then inclined to err on the side of under-cooking the final dish (so as not to risk over-cooking the part pre-cooked chicken) and that can result in the bacteria once again being brought up to "peak multiplying temperature" rather than being brought up to "die, die, die !" temperature and then kept there for sufficiently long to do the job properly . . .

** Phil.

Offline tonybatty

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 05:05 PM »
I pre-cook my chicken sous vide then cool quickly in an ice bath and in the fridge or freezer depending whether I'll be using it over the next couple of days.  Its then a question of guessing when to add the chicken to the curry sauce to bring the chicken up to serving temp.

As Phil alludes to, its about time and temperature, not just temperature.

©2024 Curry Recipes