Author Topic: Madras and chips  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Madras and chips
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Last nights dinner.

Beef madras

Made with my last 150 ml of base found hiding in the freezer.  Diluted to 250 ml with water; very thin.  As before, CTs madras sauce recipe, finished off lid-on style.  Altered the chilli profile again.  This time 1 tbsp kashmiri mirch, 1 tsp rajah chilli powder, and ? tsp deggi mirch.  Mixed these together first. Pre-cooked lean casserole beef (boiled for 3 h).  Appearance wise the end result had much less oil separation than my earlier madras sauce, chicken, and lamb efforts.  The lack of oil pooling makes this one the least visually appealing, perhaps. Texture was OK (a bit on the thick side). The aroma was good, but not quite there.  Tasted great and the chilli heat was spot on for me.  The sharpness of the deggi in the blend I think will lend itself well to a vindaloo at some point.

Chips

Another BIR favourite.  Made with maris piper spuds.  As expected no problems here (my Northern roots), cooked to perfection; nice and crispy.   

Rob  :)

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Madras and chips
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Looks pretty good.

Oil separation is what varies for me lately. Don't know if its down to using sunflower oil.

I got a good aroma with last nights madras. probably more vindaloo heat with 3 table spoons of Deggi Mirch chilli powder. I cooked the spices a lot longer, with more stirring on medium/high heat, got a thick emulsification and gave it a brief full high heat. Aroma lingered around the house for hours.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Hi

Nice pics!

Lovely looking Madras and equally lovely looking chips!

FYI - Chewy's Madras is also very nice with slow cooked lamb in case it ever takes your fancy  :P

Cheers

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Looks pretty good.

Oil separation is what varies for me lately. Don't know if its down to using sunflower oil.

I got a good aroma with last nights madras. probably more vindaloo heat with 3 table spoons of Deggi Mirch chilli powder. I cooked the spices a lot longer, with more stirring on medium/high heat, got a thick emulsification and gave it a brief full high heat. Aroma lingered around the house for hours.

I can only imagine what 3 tbsp of Deggi tastes like.  I am not going there.  Had major issues after 1 tbsp of Mr. Naga a while back.

Rob  :P

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:00 PM »
With 1 table spoon of Deggi and a teaspoon already in the mix power, its not hot at all for me. I need to put at least 4 bird eye chillis in too. Last night I ran out of chillis so had to treble up on the powder. It did end up hotter than 4 fresh cut chillis but not too much.

Curry ended up much like the local, rich and red, their Madras is hotter than most it seems but they may have tailored it to me over the years or maybe its more oldschool? I'm only in my early 30s and started eating curries when I was 13 so don't really know about 70s 80s Madras. Most other places, especially restaurants I've gone to lately, madras might as well be a masala.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 03:38 PM »
lovely jubly Rob.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 03:39 PM »
You're right, great looking curry and LOVELY looking chips too!  8)

PS:  To put things totally into perspective, how hard is it to cook realy good chips!?  Bl**dy hard!

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:00 PM »

PS:  To put things totally into perspective, how hard is it to cook realy good chips!?  Bl**dy hard!

Yeah, it can be if you go by the top chefs, triple cooked chips? what's all that about? 
Medium sized chips, not too thick, and a cheap olive oil, sprinkle of salt, ... sorted  :)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I remember going for a sit down and a mate of mine ordered "chickin curry and chips mate and make it hot as ya mum"

I felt like i had to apologize to the waiter, I mean curry with chips? never heard anything like it!.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37 PM »

Yeah, it can be if you go by the top chefs, triple cooked chips? what's all that about? 
Medium sized chips, not too thick, and a cheap olive oil, sprinkle of salt, ... sorted  :)

Cheap olive oil?  A proper chip requires fresh quality spuds and a good quality sunflower/vegetable oil, or beef dripping.  It needs to be very hot.  The moisture of the chips also needs to be removed as much as possible before cooking.  Lay the chips out on paper towels and agitate them, vigorously.  Them, more paper towels.  As my mum told me, if you dont, the chips will be soggy, and it will also ruin the fat.  You are spot on about the fancy TV chefs.

Rob  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes