Author Topic: Fry spices or not?  (Read 14125 times)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Fry spices or not?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04 PM »
...and then empty the container into the wok, the lack of a third hand makes a cool wok a much safer implement in terms of the risk of spice burn.

Ahhh! Well I don't use a wok for that very reason, it gets far too hot, far too quickly and yes, there's every possibility you'll burn your spices. My wok's seasoned anyway so isn't any good for frying BIR style curries in.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:09 PM »
And even then there's still plenty of time before they burn.

I premix my spices in a stainless serving dish ready to go in and it's a quick whoosh in go the spices and immediate stirring and shaking off the pan. There's almost no delay between adding and stirring for me.

There can't be any delay because of the high heat I'm cooking at.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20 PM »
And even then there's still plenty of time before they burn.

I premix my spices in a stainless serving dish ready to go in and it's a quick whoosh in go the spices and immediate stirring and shaking off the pan. There's almost no delay between adding and stirring for me.

There can't be any delay because of the high heat I'm cooking at.

Ok, so not the same as me. I've never managed to burn spices and wonder how many people have actually burned them?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 10:34 PM »
Ok, so not the same as me. I've never managed to burn spices and wonder how many people have actually burned them?

If ever you had burned ground chillies, you would remember.  I once burned them in a 17th century Lakeland cottage called "Tiplog", and I though I was going to die.  Once those fumes get into your lungs, you are in serious trouble.

** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48 PM »
I've cooked plenty of things with some heavy duty spicing where you have to wear a mask otherwise you would be on the floor.
But I've never had to throw something away because i've burnt the spices. Revolting? Yes  ;D Burnt? Yes  ;D but never burnt spices.

Frank.  :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I've never managed to burn spices and wonder how many people have actually burned them?

Probably not that many, because...that's most peoples biggest fear and they under fry them instead. Which is (in my opinion) one of the reasons why many people don't get the best flavour from their dishes. Under fried spices are still edible, burnt one's aren't.

I just wish more people would unshackle themselves from this fear and deliberately push their spice frying right to point of them being burnt, so they know with 100% certainty exactly where that point is. I think most people will be surprised just how far you can push them beyond where they usually stop, I guarantee their end results will improve no end. This is such a key stage to get right.

Just make sure you have a good extractor fan going if you're going to do this though :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 10:59 PM »
But I've never had to throw something away because i've burnt the spices. Revolting? Yes  ;D Burnt? Yes  ;D but never burnt spices.

I actually think it's quite difficult to burn spices using the Kris Dillon method, ie frying them in g/g paste, onions, base sauce or whatever as long as you keep stirring like mad to stop them sticking. Which is one of the reasons a lot of people have switched over to this method, but because you're less likely to burn them this way you can push them harder and further.

However, frying only in hot oil it's incredibly easy to burn them, particularly ground spices. They turn black very quickly. I burnt some whole spices the other day I was frying for a dhal tempering because I took my eye off them, had to chuck them and start again.

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30 PM »
I've never understood why, in many videos (and even suggestions on here) people take the pan off the heat when they add spices to be fried. Why? Why are you dropping the heat, then raising it again?

I do this so I can get all the spices in the pan in one go (pre-mixed according to the recipe), get them nicely mixed in with the oil, and then put back on the heat so that all the spices see the same heat at the same time, rather than some cooking prematurely - probabaly doesn't make one bit of difference!  :D
I then give them a good sizzling!

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 11:32 PM »
  I once burned them in a 17th century Lakeland cottage called "Tiplog", and I though I was going to die.  Once those fumes get into your lungs, you are in serious trouble.
** Phil.

Is your middle name "Highlander" Phil?  :D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46 PM »
Is your middle name "Highlander" Phil?  :D

"I once burned them in a Lakeland cottage called "Tiplog"; the cottage had been built in the 17th Century" (though what the date of its construction has to do with burning spices I can no longer remember).  I do remember that the water came from the local burn/stream/whatever, and we found a dead sheep in said burn/stream about 100 yards upstream from the cottage ...

©2024 Curry Recipes