Author Topic: chives  (Read 10853 times)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: chives
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 09:48 AM »
Well, my husband is an indian born and raised in KL and i go there twice a year to visit - i know there are tons of south indians in malaysia so perhaps they drink tea that way..and Teh Tarik is not indian, it is a malaysian style of tea.  None of my husband's relatives make tea that way, not in KL or in smaller village towns either.  There is a lot of fusion in the cultures in malaysia with malay/chinese/indian foods and the such.  That is why I have trouble finding true "indian" food in malaysia and the hawkers do not have anything authentically indian!!  I go to restaurants specially marked north indian cuisine and then get food that is not too far from authentic indian.  In india traditionally tea is  "pulled tea"  but it is made with normal milk and water.

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 10:17 AM »
Hi Paast10,

All I am saying is that there are Indians who drink tea with condensed milk,  You are saying you don't know of any...Scientific survey in my office..

I quote..

Hey Paul..You Indian?
Yep my parents come from Kerela.
Do you drink Teh Tarik?
Yes I do you.

So there you have it..

Pulled tea is of Indian origin..which is the translation of Teh Tarik into Malay.

Interestingly, you seem to be differentiating between North Indians and South Indians, perhaps it is you who are generalising?  Authentic Indian food is not only North Indian.

What is authentic anyway??

Cheers

Jockomalay

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 10:30 AM »
you are right in that authentic can be south and north indian both...but there is such differences between the cultures, languages, and food between the north and south that mostly up north we dont know anything about the south besides the basic popular south indian dishes.  it really is a different culture in the south.  It is different in the south as most people in the south know hindi and eat lots of north indian dishes and cook them a lot.  My family has always had many south indian friends but even they never made tea that way - perhaps if they normally do, they made it the north indian way for us!
Your experiment proved my point that maybe in southern parts of India they drink tea differently.
But it is not possible to generalize about indians if you are only talking of south indian customs.  yes, I know pulled tea is the transation of teh tarik, thats why i said that!
authentic or not, i dont like generalizations because statements made by some people are misleading and thats why there are issues between the british and indians in the UK.  But i am NOT going into that topic.  I am going to bother "defending" indians anymore as I think in the UK, indians means pakistanis, bangladeshis, nepalis and whoever else.  The misconceptions are too many and anyways, I am not from the UK so I dont understand the british way of thinking!!!  sorry to have bothered to try to explain the British misconceptions about indians.

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 10:38 AM »
Hi Paast10,

I can understand where you are coming from..I' m Scottish!!!

Cheers

Jockomaly

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 10:50 AM »
uh oh ;)......i cannot say anything about scottish way of thinking as i do not have any knowledge of it - just went to Edinbugh once and my instructor here was scottish!  I have a good sense of the british way of thinking from living here since the last 16 months and taking a college class and meeting lots of british people!

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 01:30 PM »
Erm So I wasn't seeing things !

Paast10
I cannot for the life of me understand why you have taken such a dislike to my reference (generalizing) of Indians making tea ?

Chill out  for heavens sake :-*

You'll no doubt be trying to tell me next that the teapot found in many Indian households toilets is for making tea and not for washing arses ha ha only a joke ;D.
Layne ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:51 PM by laynebritton »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 11:53 PM »
Different here in the Northern Hemisphere....guess its time to move on . :)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 05:26 AM »
Just another caveat - the North / South Indians...the Sikhs , Hindus ,  Parsee  , Pakistanis , Nepalis and Bangladesh have moved on and adapted to change - so must we
in order to move on.....much like football isn't it !  :)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006, 11:58 AM »
No, Football is all balls !!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes