Author Topic: Any smokers in the house?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Any smokers in the house?
« on: December 26, 2012, 03:04 AM »
I don't smoke personally (used to smoke Embassy years ago which dates me  ;D) but the stepdaughter is a bit broke at the moment so I bought a couple of packets for her being Christmas etc.

I thought the UK members might be interested in seeing the new uniform packaging which has just come in here in Aus. and which may be on the way to the Sceptred Isle in the nearish future. Note the only identifier is the plain text area at the bottom, these are John Players Superkings Blue. Every single pack has to look exactly like this now - with a fair few scary pictures to accompany. I don't know how they get on with my old favourites like Camels and Gauloises - maybe they don't import them any more?

So far it's probably not caused a lot of adults to give up, but the idea is to remove the "cool" factor away from the kids and of course to "marginalise" existing smokers socially. Time will tell, hey.

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Any smokers in the house?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 03:21 AM »
Second packet is certainly off putting.

First packet reminds me of Clockwork Orange or some video game box cover. I'd imagine it would even be cool in some way.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 09:27 AM »
If people want to smoke, then they smoke
I doubt these pictures will put anybody off
I see loads of people standing outside shopping malls, in the freezing cold, with rain sweeping across, puffing away at their ciggies
If the government didn't make so much money, then it would be illegal
There's so much tax on cigarettes, that I must pay a huge amount of the Nhs bill

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:23 AM »
I gave up 14 months ago after taking the prescription Champix drug for 3 months.

I don't really miss them anymore and I'm hoping to never smoke again.

Paul

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I gave up 14 months ago after taking the prescription Champix drug for 3 months.  I don't really miss them anymore and I'm hoping to never smoke again.  Paul
Well done, Paul.  My father gave up smoking in his sixties, and died at the age of 93 from unrelated causes; my mother carried on smoking until emphysema killed her in her early seventies.  I sincerely hope that all smokers will find the strength and willpower to give it up before it kills them too.

** Phil.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:40 PM »
Thanks Phil, I just need to address my booze habit next.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes