Author Topic: CBM's Little India Base Gravy home edition  (Read 1373 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
CBM's Little India Base Gravy home edition
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Here is my 1st attempt at CBM's gravy from Little India. I used 2kg of onions & around 150ml of water which is far less than the usual 1litre plus I've used in the past. The liquid released from the onions probably came to just short of that amount, although in a far more syrupy form, which has far more flavour than tap water. Cooked on low for around 2 hrs.
I even took the dog a walk & left it on with no chance of catching. 

The fried GG/tomatoes/MP to spec on it's own tasted as expected like one of my past curry failures, but added to the onion mixture becomes something different, as with onion paste/red masala etc.

The blended mixture looks like any other, but it has a very powerful onion flavour compared to some I've made in the past. I reckon it could take a fair jag of water & go a long way. God knows what 1.5 tsp moong dhal has done to it, my palate isn't refined enough to pick that one out.
I think I'll have good results with this

ELW

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:09 PM by ELW »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CBM's Little India Base Gravy home edition
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Well done ELW.  Now come on, crack on and get a curry rustled up.  I wanna hear the verdict.  Jb rates this gravy very highly and says it's very close to one of our local BIR's  :D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CBM's Little India Base Gravy home edition
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 05:22 PM »
I got a really good result with this base
It's one of the many recipes I want to try again
We are really spoilt on this site, aren't we?
So much good stuff

©2024 Curry Recipes