Author Topic: beginner part time hobbyist  (Read 2142 times)

Offline n13

• Chef
    • View Profile
beginner part time hobbyist
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:08 PM »
I'm not sure if a story is required but here is mine:

When I was younger, I would try my dad's takeaway curry on a piece of peshwari naan, and would always feel Ill after, this lead to me to a 10 year boycott on chicken (me blaming that for the illness) tried chicken about 4 years ago or so and felt fine, had a diam bar and was Ill. Turns out it was almonds I was allergic to... so about 3 years ago I had my very own curry at a restaurant. Although not the best experience as it was recommended I had a Korma... but my almond free experiences have been very good since! Scene as I enjoy not spending a lot of money on things, I figured: I'll make my own curries... so my quest continues. I requested the under cover curry book for Xmas and have since made a good 20l of gravy. So I figured I'd post some of my experiences with it (in another area of the forum perhaps). As can be deduced from my introduction, I am a beginner. But I will contribute as much as I feel will make a difference.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: beginner part time hobbyist
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:12 PM »
welcome to the forum n13.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:33 PM »
welcome n13 - if you search the forum you'll find a whole series of posts about the undercover curry book. It's not one that I bought myself but as I recall there were some lively debates around the book. If you wish to get started from this site a good place to go is to the curry base section. There's a lot of base recipes and some are tried and vouched for by forum members. For example CA's base seems to get consistenly good reports and CA himself has posted a lot of recipes to go with it. More recently there have been bases by curry2go, Zaal and there are some classic bases by Bruce Edwards and Kris Dhillon that go back a number of years yet are still used currently.

The good thing is once you get going you be delighted with your results and also save a fortune into the bargain. You're not a fellow Scot are you?  ;)

Offline n13

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for the Reply, I have read a rather lengthy thread on the book, most of the 36 pages, but I'm going to give it a good try. I'm not a Scot, but coincidentally my first curries happen to be whilst I was working in Scotland. I'm from Lancashire.
There is a lot of information on this forum that I will have to wade through, hopefully I'll get closer to the result we are all striving to achieve.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Welcome.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum n17. There was me thinking your were Irish thinking n17 refered to the Galwayroad in the Sawdoctors song ::)  I haven't got Undercover curry either.  I feel that i should add it to my collection.  Would be interested to hear about your results from using it though.  Can't remember more than one post from someone on a particualr recipe although there was a lot of talk about the book's content on here.  Enjoy the site and also check out Chewy Tikkas videos and recipes here.  You'll be up to speed in no time  ;D

http://vimeo.com/mikestyne/videos

©2024 Curry Recipes