Author Topic: Goan Coconut Chicken with Taz Base  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Goan Coconut Chicken with Taz Base
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Adapted for the Taz base from Kris Dhillon
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:52 PM by Stephen Lindsay »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Goan Coconut Chicken with Taz Base
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Stephen I've noticed you're saying these recipes are adapted for the Taz base whereas it might be more accurate to say they're adapted for the Taz method as these recipes could probably use any base (perhaps with a touch of extra oil added). That aside though this and your other recent Christmas curries are looking very nice.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:16 PM »
The aromatic whole spices come through nicely

Aromatic whole spices are often used in Indian cooking but you're not really using whole spices in this dish, are you?

What you appear to be using is 'home made curry/mix powder'.  How does the aroma compare with, say, Rajah Mild Madras?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Hi George

There's no curry powder in the dish so I can't answer your question about the comparison with Rajah Mild Madras. Yes you are correct there's not whole spices in the dish, I am merely referring to the aromatics which come through in the dish, i.e. fenugreek, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom.

Steve

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Stephen I've noticed you're saying these recipes are adapted for the Taz base whereas it might be more accurate to say they're adapted for the Taz method as these recipes could probably use any base (perhaps with a touch of extra oil added). That aside though this and your other recent Christmas curries are looking very nice.

SS you are right up to a point. In my opinion the Taz base and method go together - for example the recipe does not start with a chef's spoon of oil to which an onion/pepper tarka are added. Therefore if someone was going to do these recipes then they would have to make allowances for the level of oil in the Taz base otherwise they'd end up with an overly greasy dish I think. That said I take your point and think they would be easily adapted for another base which is a good thing I think.

Thanks for the feedback, both in terms of suggestions and the compliments, I have been having quite a good time faffing with curries today - I have even made poppadoms from scratch though they didn't turn out too well but it was fun nonetheless.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Mmm, that's definitely got sex appeal about it SL.  A little more up my street.  I like the "chefs" garam masala (whole spice)  This could well go on the to do list when i have a little more time as there is a bit of "faffing" involved, unlike my dynamite phall i've just cooked  ;D  I try not to food colouring to final dishes though, the only exception being CTM if it needs it.  I'll take it naked and as it comes  ;D ;D. A good base should do it justice as i'll be cooking it the conventional way.  Any reason for using the coconut cream rather than the powder which must be easier?  Sorry to hear about the poppadums but 10/10 for trying.  I'll just open up the packet of rajah.  Must go now, dry saag bhaji to cook to go with the phall  ::)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Looks top dollar - very nice and the recipe reads well too.

best, Rich

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 09:03 PM »
cheers Rich

Steve

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Grind the whole spices (cinnamon, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, cardamom seeds and clove) in a pestle and mortar.

Result: home made curry powder. What else can it be?! Didn't it have a smell?

I just wondered how that mix of powder compared with proprietary blends of something labelled either 'curry powder' or perhaps 'garam masala'.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:21 PM »
No worries George I understand what you are saying. From my own experience I can only say that ground whole spices is a bit like grinding coffee beans - fresher is better.

©2024 Curry Recipes