Author Topic: Two New Bhaji Videos  (Read 3019 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Two New Bhaji Videos
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:31 PM »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:43 PM by DalPuri »

Offline currylover40

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Two New Bhaji Videos
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Thanks DP. Love making bhaji's, will give these a go from the first video. I've only just perfected the besan and water ratio after so many times of trying, used to fall apart in wok because never used enough besan. The addition of spinach i like also.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:03 PM »
correct me if I am wrong but it looks from the video as if he adds no water at all - let me know what you think when making them currylover 40

Offline currylover40

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Correct Stephen. I can't seem to get it right without the water added, small amount, but does the trick, i find they just fall apart once they hit the oil, which btw is hot enough. The guy in this video doesn't even wet his hands for the batter.
He could have wet his hands but i don't see this.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:20 PM »
currylover40 - I have had the same problem - when making bhajis without water I have let them sit in order to draw out the moisture in the onions but when cooked my g/f described them as "sinkers"  :'(

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:24 PM »
What i do is slice the onions then add the gram flour and leave in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight covered, the onions release their own moisture so a little water can be added. It seems that if your bhaji's are falling apart when in the oil, think it might be not having enough liquid in there, it needs to bind, then when the bhaji's are ready to make into balls. Take a handful of mixture shape into balls but don't press to hard. Then add to hot oil.

Offline currylover40

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Could be worse Stephen, she could of said 'stinkers'  :)
Will try that method Frank. Do you add salt whilst you leave them, as i know that gets the juices flowing, or leave the salt until just before frying stage.
Thanks

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:54 PM »
This is the recipe i use http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,3525.0.html

I mix all the dry ingredients together and i use 3-4 onions instead of one, add the dry mix and leave in fridge covered then when i am ready to use i mix all the ingredients and add the yoghurt and a little water if needed.

Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

Made these slightly smaller than my usual because i had to feed around 20 people.
I part fry them then finish off in the oven until crispy on the outside.

Offline currylover40

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Cheers Frank. Will give them a bash soon! I've never used yoghurt in bhaji's but seems to be a good addition with all the other ingredients. Like mine quite spicy so will go with the usual chopped green chillies and chillie powder! They certainly look a decent bhaji, look forward to trying this with mango chutney  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes