16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 153729 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 11:57 AM »
George,

I would be interested In trying a scaled down version. If your going to do the conversion please post up the scaled down version for testing.

Recognise we dont want to deviate from the Main recipe but as you say 7kg of onions is loads

Stew

I'm with Stew on this one George, So if you would be so kind, I think more of us would give it a try out.
Thank's in advance. Or maybe bigboaby1 could help us out here.

Les

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 11:57 AM »
I think a manageable size for me here would be to scale to around 3 kg. won' t happen for a while though unless someone buys me a third freezer  ;) ;)

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 01:57 PM »
If it helps you to know, my 1/2 portion of base sauce fitted into my 7L capacity pressure cooker - this is the pot pictured in the pictures I posted.  From them you can see that 3.5Kg of chopped onion bowled over the edge but soon sank down as they softened.

For the record the family are still talking about the curries we had last night.

Regards to all,

Martin

(from this experience I am thinking that I the volume of the pot needs to be double the weight of the onion/carrot/pepper/cabbage used in the recipe - grateful for your wider thoughts)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 02:00 PM »
That is handy. Just the pot I was thinking of using.

Also - did I read somewhere that Spanish onions are recommended / preferred for this Glaswegian stuff? Or is that me getting confused with another post at another time in a different world?  ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Weights : gross or net (was : Glasgow curry base sauce)
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 02:15 PM »
I agree with Martin and others about the importance of not changing a recipe, at least the first time you try it but there's no way I'm going to use 7kg onions and end up with gallons of base sauce, so l'll pro-rata the recipe back to 0.7kg onions (10%).

Just as a point of interest, when authors specify (e.g.,) 7kg onions, is that normally interpreted as "7kg before skinning, topping and tailing", or "7kg pot-ready" ?  In my experience, I normally need to purchase 20% extra to allow for skinning, topping and tailing if I am aiming at a pot-ready weight.

** Phil.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 02:55 PM »
George, I would be interested In trying a scaled down version. If your going to do the conversion please post up the scaled down version for testing. Recognise we dont want to deviate from the Main recipe but as you say 7kg of onions is loads

Yes, certainly. I hope to try this recipe within the next few days, at 10% of the original quantities. I'll report back with my findings.

In order that I don't deviate, unwittingly, from the original proportions, could the OP please let us all know whether the chef's spoon measures are level, rounded, heaped or what, please?

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 06:23 PM »
we're talking about scaling down, but at the top of his recipe he says

"Don't be put of by the amount of onions...It wont work otherwise"

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Just tried this, made 2/3 volume base recipe.

very very oily finished dish.  Similar to some 'run of the mill' takeaways - sorry mate.

I've def tasted similar around here, but this is not near my favorite homemade BIR....

My best is Zaal technique with Zaal or Ashoka base....mmmm

PS. I'm from Glasgow.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15 PM »

I have to agree on that,seemed like an awful lot of onions to use but they're quite cheap to buy in bulk,it's really worth it.I believe the recipe itself is a scaled down one to what is used his place(heaven knows how many onions they use there),but to do this justice I really think you should follow his recipe.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Science and logic suggest otherwise. I'm scaling down to 10% at my own risk It's either that or it won't get tried. I live alone and don't have a freezer so what would I do with a year's supply of base sauce, especially if it doesn't taste very good? I'll be starting with 700g onions (about 4 onions). I normally make base sauce starting with 400g onions (about 2 onions) and it tastes divine, so I'm not convinced that small-ish quantities don't work. At least the base sauce remains fresh, being made in small amounts.

©2024 Curry Recipes