16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 153733 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Can see serious oil separation happening with this recipe in a dish.  Multiple options thereafter.  Could mix it in. Or, dither about, scooping purposely away from the slick areas.  After that it's just a test of will power.

Rob  :P 

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 11:07 PM »
JB,

Nice! Reassuring as it looks like mine! I chopped the onions more so that may have sped up the process? Cooked the onions for an hour, added everything else then a hour, blended then another hour.

Thats the way to cook this base as Martinwhynot has just said chop the onions first to speed the cooking process.

best, Rich

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 11:12 PM »
Forgot to add - we use 10 kilos of onions in a pot and have made this way without the coconut - good results

best, Rich

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18 AM »
I used the full 7kg of onions.The pot was the biggest one I have,about 10 inches in diameter and 9 inches deep.I just didn't fancy chopping them all up,I know the original recipe did say to do that but I think that's just a time issue.As long as the onions are cooked properly,that's the thing.

I had another taste this morning,very nice indeed(and very thick).I guess the proof will be in the cooking!

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Nice one, JB, you'll not be disappointed with the results I'm sure, regardless of where you live. This is still a lovely base and for me produced curries that are familiar to me.

11/10 this one, for me at least.

Martin

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Right.

As a huge fan of Glasgow curries (albeit from the early '80s) I'm going to have to give this a go.

Maybe things have changed in Glasgow since then, but it will be interesting to see how it compares to the curries I enjoyed at some of the city's finest curry establishments at that time.

For reference, the closest I've got to the 'Scottish taste' to date is via a Little India / Zaal style of base, Chewy Tikka's Madras recipe, and the use of a good spiced onion paste (bunjara / bunjarra) a la Ashoka or CBM. I've found the bunjara to be the essential component in delivering what I can only describe as a 'Glasgow kiss' in terms of intensity and depth of flavour.

Anyway, really looking forward to trying this out, and will report back as soon as I can (likely to be the end of next week, the way things are shaping up).

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Very interesting.  I am trying to work out the oil (fat) content of the finished base/dish.  I am thinking it's very high, and possibly off the chart.  Any ideas?

The fat content in most BIR curries I've had seems "off the chart" so it must bode well for this recipe.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 11:01 AM »
I couldn't believe the amount of onions I went through!

I agree with Martin and others about the importance of not changing a recipe, at least the first time you try it but there's no way I'm going to use 7kg onions and end up with gallons of base sauce, so l'll pro-rata the recipe back to 0.7kg onions (10%).

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26 AM »
George,

I would be interested In trying a scaled down version. If your going to do the conversion please post up the scaled down version for testing.

Recognise we dont want to deviate from the Main recipe but as you say 7kg of onions is loads

Stew

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Martin

This looks very promising and your curries look great. Just wanted to check in terms of the amount of spices added to the base - 1/2 a chef spoon , coriander and cumin and one of turmeric- how much spices would you say that is in terms of tablespoons?

Steve

©2024 Curry Recipes