16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 154381 times)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 02:09 PM »
struggling to work out what spicing I'd be putting into a dish scaled down by a factor of 10 but I do appreciate the restrictions you are under, George!

Thank you for your information in what you used and, given you got quite good results, it might be useful for my hoped-for trial. The only restriction I'm under is the OP not having responded to my question. It's very disappointing.

I don't agree that it's splitting hairs when talking about the differerence between a (roughly) level spoon measure and one that's (roughly) heaped. It could be twice the amount of spice. I say that's significant and far more important than whether rice is called fried or pilau.
IF YOU WORRIED ABOUT THE CHILLI. SIMPLE.. DON'T USE IT..If your experienced enough you'll know when and where to use it..hope that helps

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 02:11 PM »
 ;D

Offline walleye

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I am very interested in making a batch but it includes  my pet hate coconut the taste, texture :+o(   would it make a big difference to exclude  ?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 08:48 PM »
I am very interested in making a batch but it includes  my pet hate coconut the taste, texture :+o(   would it make a big difference to exclude  ?

Trust me although you need a whole coconut block(if you make the full 7kg version) you cannot detect it at all in the finished gravy.Then why add it I suppose is the question,it does contribute to the finished texture/taste in its own way if that makes sense.

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 08:54 PM »
You won't taste coconut although it is there...Everything is there for a reason do not exclude anything or it wont work..unless you have a coconut allergy then I'm sure you will be fine..Cheers pal

BB1

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 08:57 PM »
we need to be less hung up on being so exact with something which is, afterall, something we consider to be an art.

Hear, hear !

Nonsense!

The 'art' comes at the curry cooking stage, the base is pure proportions, no art involved whatsoever. Why is it so hard to supply teaspoon or tablespoon measures as appropriate?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Why is it so hard to supply teaspoon or tablespoon measures as appropriate?

To be honest I'd sooner have a genuine-looking, large recipe like BB1 has posted and then scale it back myself, rather than have the chef(s) take the time to do it. The BIR chefs use a chef's spoon, most of the time, including frequent dip measures. It irritated me when the undercover guy used that approach in his book, but that's different.  BB1 has now kindly replied to me about spoon measures via a PM, so I thank him for that.

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Why is it so hard to work it out?

Sorry... Too much paralysis by analysis!!!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 10:08 PM »
BB1 has now kindly replied to me about spoon measures via a PM, so I thank him for that.

And will you be sharing that information with the hoi polloi George or will you covet it unto thineself?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2013, 11:59 PM »
Why is it so hard to work it out?
Sorry... Too much paralysis by analysis!!!

It's not hard. Nothing could be easier as long as one has the minimum information, i.e. whether spoon measures are level, rounded or heaped.

There's no analysis required, that I'm aware of.

I'll open a new thread (soon) about spoon measures.

©2024 Curry Recipes