16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 153727 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Axe, what's the average amount of oil per 300ml portion in a standard base gravy?
I was never any good in maths.

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Hi Frank,

All you need to do is divide the total amount of oil in the recipe by the amount of portions the recipe yields. For example CA's uses 125ml and yields 9 portions which equates to 14ml per portion. Dip's 250ml and yields 5 portions which equates to 50ml per portion.

Hope this helps. :)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Either way, it looks like the oil content of the finished dish when using the GCB sauce and method is actually less than when using the more traditional style of base gravy and adding extra oil to the curry pan to fry g/g paste, spices, etc.

(Not that I worry too much about these things, mind. If it tastes good it's going down the hatch!)

Offline scoobydoo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2013, 06:05 PM »
That said, I respectfully ask that BB1 please confirms the size of his "chef's spoons" and whether the measures are level, rounded or heaped

For anyone wishing to try this base, BB1 has confirmed (in another thread) the following measures for his "chef's spoon":

"1 LEVEL CHEF SPOON  2 TBLS
1 ROUNDED CHEF SPOON 3 TBLS
1 HEAPED CHEF SPOON   4 TBLS

My measures in my recipe are heaped"

BB1 has also confirmed that the weight of onions is, in fact, before peeling.
4 tbls is that 4 level or heaped tbls i am trying to make a half version.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Either way, it looks like the oil content of the finished dish when using the GCB sauce and method is actually less than when using the more traditional style of base gravy and adding extra oil to the curry pan to fry g/g paste, spices, etc.

(Not that I worry too much about these things, mind. If it tastes good it's going down the hatch!)

Less?  :o I wouldn't have thought that but you could be right. 
Its all flavoured oil going into each curry though  ;)  ;D

Which gravy is top of the leaderboard for oil content per portion?   ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12 AM »
That said, I respectfully ask that BB1 please confirms the size of his "chef's spoons" and whether the measures are level, rounded or heaped

For anyone wishing to try this base, BB1 has confirmed (in another thread) the following measures for his "chef's spoon":

Scooby,

I've taken it (rightly or wrongly) that BB1's "chef's spoon" is 30ml capacity (i.e. 2 x 15ml level tablespoons). 

And BB1's "chef spoon" measures, in this recipe, are "heaped", which is 60ml (i.e. 4 x 15ml level tablespoons).

I guess, unless BB1 wishes to put weights to his measures, which I doubt, we're going to have to work the rest out for ourselves.

Hope this helps!

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2013, 09:28 AM »

Scooby,

I've taken it (rightly or wrongly) that BB1's "chef's spoon" is 30ml capacity (i.e. 2 x 15ml level tablespoons). 

And BB1's "chef spoon" measures, in this recipe, are "heaped", which is 60ml (i.e. 4 x 15ml level tablespoons).

I guess, unless BB1 wishes to put weights to his measures, which I doubt, we're going to have to work the rest out for ourselves.

Hope this helps!
Your right in your assumption you'll have to work it out for yourself from now on i've just about had enough of the crap i've been reading on here lately about oil..spoon measures etc...i've been very patient and tried my best to answer everyones questions to the best of my knowledge...from now on i will only speak to genuine members by pm only and not by the crazy's...i wish i could turn back the clock i never knew what i was getting my self into...guys guys you really need to chill out..if you don't want my advice fine but don't criticise everything i do..you know who you are..I'm only trying to give you an insight in how we do things in Glasgow restaurants.....I wont be replying to this post..

One pissed of bloke from Glasgow

BB1

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Jesus BB1 stop taking things so personally. This is a forum for the discussion of all things curry and when someone posts a relatively new idea it becomes the main focus of discussion for a while. Any criticism you perceive is, in any case, directed at the recipe and therefore the takeaway from which it came, and not at you personally who is, after all, only the messenger.

But I will say that to do justice to the recipes they need to be reported as accurately as possible and so we need accurate quantities.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31 AM »
Its quite obvious the man has passion for his curries and the restaurant he works in
And for the short time he has been on the forum it must be hard to work out the different personalities
and who to ignore
It's taken me a year  :)
The old quantities thing does get a bit tirering for the non purists  ;)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Your right in your assumption you'll have to work it out for yourself from now on i've just about had enough of the crap i've been reading on here lately about oil..spoon measures etc...i've been very patient and tried my best to answer everyones questions to the best of my knowledge...from now on i will only speak to genuine members by pm only and not by the crazy's...i wish i could turn back the clock i never knew what i was getting my self into...guys guys you really need to chill out..if you don't want my advice fine but don't criticise everything i do..you know who you are..I'm only trying to give you an insight in how we do things in Glasgow restaurants.....I wont be replying to this post..

One pissed of bloke from Glasgow
BB1

If you feel that strongly about it BB1, You can always Delete you posts, But I don't think anybody is knocking you or your recipes, just trying to get it right, We don't all have super size stock pots on hand.
anyway thanks for all your efforts so far, I think there brilliant :)

Les

©2024 Curry Recipes