16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 153735 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2013, 11:14 AM »
I think alot of the debate and confusion can be caused by one subject spanning over multiple topics that have sprouted due to people getting excited about a new recipe and wanting to show their efforts in separate threads (not that, that is wrong of course).

The result is that the same questions can be asked several times in several places and it becomes very hard to track where the actual answers are provided. Which is both frustrating to the reader and especially the topic originator, in this case BB1, who has to keep reading the same debates.

That said BB1 people here are so dedicated to the cause that and have tried so many variations and different measures that only the most accurate measurements can provide assurance of recreating a recipe to the best of their abilities, hence the repeated comments about how much is in a chef spoon. Stick with it mate, we all appreciate your efforts. :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2013, 11:49 AM »
The old quantities thing does get a bit tirering for the non purists  ;)

Yes you're absolutely right. Coincidentally, while we've been discussing this I've fallen on the recipe for the old-style 80's curries that blow any curries on this site out of the water. Here's the recipe, do try it and tell me what you think.

A jug of oil
a string's length of cinnamon
a hamster's chuff of green cardamoms
A gnat's fart of asafoetida
Two monkey's buttocks' worth of red stuff
A scant whale's scrotum of chilli powder
Equal measures of coriander and cumin, about as much as will fit into the tyre tread of a bicycle wheel
Half An elizabeth II silver jubilee egg cup of some other stuff.
Throw it all in a pan and cook it for a bit.

::)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2013, 11:59 AM »

Yes you're absolutely right. Coincidentally, while we've been discussing this I've fallen on the recipe for the old-style 80's curries that blow any curries on this site out of the water. Here's the recipe, do try it and tell me what you think.

A jug of oil
Equal measures of coriander and cumin, about as much as will fit into the tyre tread of a bicycle wheel

Looks good SS,
But haven't you forgot the small tad of dustbin lid's worth of coriander?  ;D

Les 

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2013, 12:23 PM »
...Here's the recipe, do try it and tell me what you think...

Excellent! I like it! At last we can have a laugh about this madness and get the toys back into the pram! :)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2013, 12:32 PM »

A jug of oil

God that made me lmfao, by the way i never give you permission to post my secret recipe. top stuff SS

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2013, 12:37 PM »
people here are so dedicated to the cause that and have tried so many variations and different measures that only the most accurate measurements can provide assurance of recreating a recipe to the best of their abilities.

It is very rare indeed that I do not agree with Axe, but here at least may I beg to differ ?  I believe that the above would be more accurate cast as follows :

"people here are so dedicated to the cause that and have tried so many variations and different measures that some of them now believe that only the most accurate measurements can provide assurance of recreating a recipe to the best of their abilities." 

Not all of us subscribe to this hypothesis : for myself, I believe that cookery is an art, not a science, and that recipes can offer only guidance, not a 100%, cast-iron-certain, guarantee that, if followed exactly, deviating not by a minim or even a scruple, perfection will be achieved.  A kitchen is not a laboratory, and we are not scientists (in the main); we cannot, and should not, believe that we can replicate exactly what others have accomplished.  All we can do is interpret their findings for ourselves, and then experiment within the limits of our own ability, equipment and ingredients to replicate (or even better) what others have already achieved.

Quote from: Ajoy Joshi
Learning 'how much' teaches you one dish; learning 'how and why' teaches you, or opens up the doors of, the entire cuisine. [...]

** Phil.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2013, 12:48 PM »
An excellent Quote from Ajoy there Phil. One which we should all pay heed to.

Les

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Not all of us subscribe to this hypothesis : for myself, I believe that cookery is an art, not a science, and that recipes can offer only guidance, not a 100%, cast-iron-certain, guarantee that, if followed exactly, deviating not by a minim or even a scruple, perfection will be achieved.  A kitchen is not a laboratory, and we are not scientists (in the main); we cannot, and should not, believe that we can replicate exactly what others have accomplished.  All we can do is interpret their findings for ourselves, and then experiment within the limits of our own ability, equipment and ingredients to replicate (or even better) what others have already achieved.

Couldnt of said it better myself phil, To many scientist's on here!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Not all of us subscribe to this hypothesis : for myself, I believe that cookery is an art, not a science

Which is a shame Phil because, like all flat Earthers, you're misguided beliefs are easily put to bed. Cooking may start out as an art but in all other respects it is a science. In fact no, it isn't one science, it's at least four, i.e. chemistry, physics, biology and mathematics. You may not need to understand the science to cook, but it certainly helps and adds to the pleasure.

And being a science it helps to keep it, within sensible limits, on a scientific footing whereby measurements are given as accurately as possible and preferably in units not dredged up from some bygone era.

If a person values their culinary efforts and chooses to share those efforts then some small extra effort should be put into achieving this for the removal of doubt and the avoidance of pointless discussions such as this one.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Skipping the rhetoric which has already been adduced ad nauseam/i] :

If a person values their culinary efforts and chooses to share those efforts then some small extra effort should be put into achieving this for the removal of doubt and the avoidance of pointless discussions such as this one.

My emphasis.  "should", Santa ?  Why ?  They do not owe it to any of us to be any more precise than they would normally be.  They have every right to measure as they will (metric, imperial, avoirdupois, apothecary's measure, ...) and to the accuracy and precision that they choose ("a spoonful", "a teaspoonful", "a flat teaspoonful", "5gm", "5.127gm", "3.95 scruples", whatever).  They owe us nothing : they choose to contribute out of kindness, generosity and a wish to share.  We should not look a gift horse in the mouth, nor demand more than the recipe author is willing to give.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes