16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 154354 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2013, 01:09 PM »
An excellent Quote from Ajoy there Phil. One which we should all pay heed to.

Les

Actually les Ajoy is rehashing the old "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime" statement, which itself is a paraphrase from a 19th century book by William Makepiece Thackeray's daughter Anne Ritchie.

Ain't nothing new in this old world! (I wonder who coined that one?  ;D )

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2013, 01:17 PM »
My emphasis.  ""some small extra effort should be put into achieving this"", Santa ?  Why ?

As already explained Phil "...for the removal of doubt and the avoidance of pointless discussions such as this one."

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2013, 01:49 PM »
As already explained Phil "...for the removal of doubt and the avoidance of pointless discussions such as this one."

That's not a "should", Santa : that's an "it could be helpful if".  "Should" implies a duty, and contributors to this forum do not have a duty to be accurate and precise.  They have a duty to be polite and respect other's point of view, and a duty not to be offensive (I am sure there are others, but being accurate and precise is not one of them).

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2013, 02:03 PM »
We'll just have to agree to disagree Phil. However, as a parting thought, pick up a cookery book - any one that comes to hand - and look at a recipe. What do you notice?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2013, 02:14 PM »
What a total load of old tosh!

I have seen this several times before:

• someone coming here claiming to work in a BIR and/or knowing the "secret" to reproducing BIR curries
  • that someone posting all over the place
  • that someone being seemingly quite literate (when it suits them) and being seemingly quite illiterate (when it suits them)
  • that person having (seemingly) absolutely no regard for the forum, it's members or the structure, or the etiquette of the forum
  • that person becoming most indignant when the SIMPLEST questions are asked in order to clarify their recipes in order to give others the best chance of replicating them
  • that person threatening to stop posting because of the perfectly sensible questions regarding clarity of information

I am personally very curious about the other glowing reports that have been quickly submitted by "other members"  :-X

My assumption is that anyone legitimately posting recipes on this forum are doing so for the benefit of the members.

I also presume that they wish members to fully replicate their recipes.

I also presume that legitimate posters would like their recipes to be able to be followed as precisely as possible.

I conclude that anyone that is reluctant to do this is not genuine or sincere in that endeavour.

Anyone who disputes that clarity is good in order to reproduce a recipe is seriously misguided, in my opinion.

Anyone who claims that cooking is an art and not science (regarding reproducing posted recipes) is also seriously misguided, in my opinion.

Anyone who claims that batch size is critically important and that a "chef's spoon" size is not important, or that whether the "chef's spoon" is "level", "rounded" or heaped" is not important is also seriously misguided, in my opinion (in terms of replicating recipes)

I think that anyone who argues the toss otherwise is either seriously misguided or just here to argue the toss  ::)

I have cooked BB1's curry base (7kg version which, it materialises, is a SCALED DOWN version anyway - though scaling it down is a definite no no - apparently!) and will post my findings shortly.

I think BB1 has, so far, been extended the utmost courtesy, which many others here would never have been afforded...yet he is STILL offended!  Go figure!  :o

Posters of recipes owe it to themselves to make their recipes as easy to follow as possible.  Otherwise, they should not (cannot) be dismayed when others fail to replicate their results.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:39 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Gonna peel some more onions

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2013, 03:15 PM »
I think that someone feels his status as sometime alpha male threatened and now seeks to oust the newcomer from the tribe.  Fortunately the vast majority of the tribe will have the sense to see through this ploy and will reassure the newcomer that he is extremely welcome.  Indeed, there are already some who have proclaimed him the new Messiah.  I recommend Franklin Russell's "Season on the Plain" to anyone wanting to understand what the alpha male goes through when he loses his position in the tribe.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:25 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2013, 03:29 PM »
To right phil, BB1 is more than welcome here by me, he's opened up a new world for me and other's are really over looking what he has contributed to the site, And believe me it's pukka stuff, My wife and i are overwhelmed with his glasgow base, What folk need to do is cook and stop harping on about complete crap!
Just my opinion.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2013, 03:41 PM »
I reckon Ive got enough onions to do the full 25kg base

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2013, 03:52 PM »