16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 154382 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I'm wondering how you managed to get so much surplus oil,could it have been from the pre-cooked chicken method? I must admit I dont't lke very oily curries myself. I had very little oil from mine as you can see...

As you rightly say, JB, and as I said in my post:

"It released a fair amount of oil (much of which - about 60ml worth - I spooned off).  But an amount of it came from the precooked chicken (and its sauce) that I added"

That's not to mention the oil in the pureed chili and the oil in the garlic/ginger paste, of course....

Bottom line, for me, is that the curry base tasted greasy, the precooked chicken tasted greasy and the chicken curry (unsurprisingly) tasted greasy.  I am truly sorry to say that  ???

To your credit, you also cooked the full 7kg version of BB1's base (I don't think anyone else has yet?)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Here's my madras, hardly any oil. It was superb, Cory's looked over cooked. To much high heat can cause spices to burn to much, it can leave a bland taste.

Sorry SJ66, but I have to say that I went out of my way to cook BB1's recipes EXACTLY as he prescribes.  And I am confident that my results reflect that intent.  That includes the cooking methods (i.e. "high heat" and 10 minutes cooking time for the chicken curry).

As I understand it, you claim that you mustn't deviate from BB1's recipes, least you get a different result, but you cooked half the amounts (or did you?) for the curry base?

Nevertheless, greasy base + greasy precooked chicken + greasy minced chili + greasy minced garlic/ginger paste = greasy curry.

The oil is there, whether it "comes out" or not.  I'd rather it did come out, in the final curry, so that I can spoon off the excess.

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Hi cory, yes i cooked the full version, Just sorry it didnt suit your pallet,

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Here's my madras, hardly any oil. It was superb, Cory's looked over cooked. To much high heat can cause spices to burn to much, it can leave a bland taste.

Sorry SJ66, but I have to say that I went out of my way to cook BB1's recipes EXACTLY as he prescribes.  And I am confident that my results reflect that intent.  That includes the cooking methods (i.e. "high heat" and 10 minutes cooking time for the chicken curry).

As I understand it, you claim that you mustn't deviate from BB1's recipes, least you get a different result, but you cooked half the amounts (or did you?) for the curry base?

Nevertheless, greasy base + greasy precooked chicken + greasy minced chili + greasy minced garlic/ginger paste = greasy curry.

The oil is there, whether it "comes out" or not.  I'd rather it did come out, in the final curry, so that I can spoon off the excess.
i'm sure your scottish friends will be very happy with it well Mr cory ander not if has been cooked by you ..is this whats it's all about Scotland and England if i had known that i would have singed up for the site..and guys this is not how my base looks pay no attention to the (moderated) he has hust served up c.mon guys look at these pics...the sick individuals will be pleaesd it wad (moderated) and gloat why i haven't a clue..well maybe i do.....as you can see from the pics he hasn't a clue..would you eat this...Bad trades men good trades men.......and i quote again his Scottish friends.....what we are dealing with here is someone who is sick to the core and his supporters....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:21 PM by George »

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Well BB1, All i can say is that you have given me the chance to produce the finest curry one could ever taste. Proper BIR, It certainly replicate's our local BIR's and takeaway taste 100%,,,,Thanks for your contribution, time and effort in sharing it. Maybe some need to go to cookery school.

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Well said, Steve, I agree it's the one I've been looking for and I hope others find their perfect base soon.

Good to see that some aren't trying to put others off trying it. 10 people probably would want 10 differing curries as their fav so let's keep it positive and on topic?

Ta!

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2013, 02:32 PM »
BB1, Sorry mate, but there was no need for that (moderated) you just laid on CA, he was just giving his own personal opinion after trying you base and curry, The base aint going to rock everyones boat, that's life. Live with it.

Les
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:08 PM by George »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Get a grip guy(s).

I am very happy for whoever believes these recipes hit their personal curry nirvana.  And I would not wish to deter anyone from trying them. 

We are all different and we all have different expectations.

But please don't criticise and insult those who spend a whole day trying their best to do justice to the recipes, by trying to reproduce them, as faithfully as possible, just because you disagree with their (quite polite, nonthreatening and objective) assessment  :-\
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:28 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2013, 02:46 PM »
BB1, Sorry mate, but there was no need for that (moderated) you just laid on CA, he was just giving his own personal opinion after trying you base and curry, The base aint going to rock everyones boat, that's life. Live with it.

Les
You said exactly what I was thinking Les. A bit of tact or diplomacy goes a long way.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:08 PM by George »

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Well ive travelled the length and width of britian, Had many many bir's and takeaway's. Taste wise! pretty much all the same as BB1's curry, So what you guy's are looking for is beyond me for sure. Yes ive eaton in glasgow, edinburgh, and the curries in cornwall taste the same too!

©2024 Curry Recipes