16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 153722 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2013, 11:32 PM »
May I suggest we all try and cool it a bit. Take the above difference of opinion, for example. I suggest both points of view are valid. I used to think along Steve's lines - that most BIR curries tasted very similar wherever I went. Recently, I've detected more differences, so I can understand Les's opinion as well.

Spoken like a true moderator, George : well said.

One of the most interesting things to come out of this whole discussion for me is that it has triggered some long-dormant inverse-Proustian memories [1] : just thinking about the one and only curry I have ever eaten in Glasgow (blisteringly hot) is actually able to trigger vague olfactory/taste sensations.  Just as with a dream, these memories are too evanescent, too ephemeral to hold on to -- certainly not for long enough to rationalise them, let alone to write them down.  But what I am increasingly certain of is (a) that the memories are there, and (b) what I am remembering is nothing like a BIR curry today (not even one of my own making).  So there we are : I never believed it was possible to recall smells and tastes, and certainly not from 35 years ago, which is when these memories date from.  Amazing.

** Phil.
--------
[1] In Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past", he tastes a Madeleine (cake) and some lemon tea and this brings back memories from 40 years earlier, coming home from church and drinking lemon tea and eating a Madeleine at his aunt

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Hi all,

Lets keep on topic.
Given we live in a democracy, then please exercise your right to vote if you have made this curry sauce and use the Poll I have setup.

You get one vote so use it wisely and don't vote unless you have made this base and can clearly demonstrate you have made it or I will remove the vote.

I guess this is the fairest way for all to proceed.

As ever always a great debate on CR0

Stew
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:04 PM by Admin »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55 AM »
we have something that Stevejet before you was advocating : the "all-in-one" curry,
** Phil.
Which is nothing new,
Madhur showed one chef using the all-in-one method in her "Curry Nation" series, (episode 2)

It is a very sad thing, is it not Les, that of late no matter what someone writes, someone else elects to argue with it ?  I wrote that before BB1, Steve Jet was advocating the all-in-one curry.  I didn't say that Steve was the first to do this; I didn't say that Steve was the only person before BB1 to advocate this; so why did you find it necessary to state that this "is nothing new", as if I was suggesting that it was ?  Without trawling back in the archives, I have no idea when Steve first mooted this idea, nor have I the slightest idea when Madhur Jaffrey's television programme was shown : all I said was that Bigboaby1 was not the first to propose this particular methodology.

** Phil.

Apologies Phil, I think that you took my statement the wrong way,(or I put it wrong) I was not trying to bring you down or anyone else, I was just saying that it was nothing new as it had been done before. No animosity was intended.

Les

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Apology willingly accepted, Les : all friends again :)
** Phil.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29 AM »
all friends again :)
** Phil.

Of course Phil, As alway's :)

Les

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I persevered with this base (in an attempt to give it the utmost benefit of doubt) and made a chicken vindaloo. 

However, I used the base, as I would use any other base, to make the vindaloo.  The exception was that I did not add any more salt, or oil, for the preparation of the final dish. 

But I did add (despite BB1's suggestions):

• tomato paste/puree
  • pureed garlic and ginger
  • "spice mix"
  • chili powder
  • dried fenugreek leaves
  • fresh coriander

I added all (or most of) the ingredients to a dry pan and heated them, on high heat, for a about 5 minutes minutes.

I also added BB1's precooked chicken with the spices.

Here is a photo of the result:

All in all, it produced a very paletable BIR-like chicken vindaloo.  But I do feel that it was still a little too greasy on the palate.

It seems to me that you have to play with this base (and the precooked chicken mix) to match the final dish cooking.  But, as it stands, I think the final dish recipes (ingredients and cooking times) are not particularly in accord with a good (BIR-like) final dish.

I will add that I do resent insinuations (yawn  ::)) that I am a major cause of BB1's departure from this site.  BB1 made many noises, to that effect, well before I made a single post.  Those that suggest that I was a major reason for his departure must clearly ask themselves where the paranoia really lies  ::)  And, anyway, that's their choice.

Given the angst on the forum, nowadays, I will leave it at that.

But, by all means, try this base - or the subsequent variations! - and see what you think.   :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2013, 02:15 PM »
PS:  (because I can't see how to modify my owns posts now).....don't you think it's rather strange how BB1, SJ66 (and MWN) seem to have all (simultaneously) left the forum?  I do  :-X

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Having latterly and purposely stayed away from the 'Glasgow' scene due to the aforementioned 'angst ' it has created, I now feel compelled to break my 'silence' to,say that this is the first time Anybody has posted something that actually looks edible. Yes I know that photography between poster and forum does not help anybody but generally peoples' efforts ( not Glasgow) do look edible notwithstanding that they may taste of mongoose ear wax for all anybody else can be expected to know. Whilst it has previously been a freezer full of base that has stopped me from trying the Glasgow thing I do not now intend to try it at all having weighed up the responses thus far. My loss? Maybe, but I still maintain that all you are doing is producing a full blown and not very adaptable completed sauce that smacks of oily overload.

I do however congratulate and respect those members who have actually tried this and thank you for your feedback which has convinced me to stick with the proper bases gravies that already produce the result that I personally seek.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:23 PM by RubyDoo »

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2013, 04:18 PM »
That looks stunning, CA - and as RD points out, eminently edible.

I haven't tried making the GCB myself so have yet to experience the taste, but in terms of how I like my curries to look, that hits the spot.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2013, 04:29 PM »
...don't you think it's rather strange how BB1, SJ66 (and MWN) seem to have all (simultaneously) left the forum?  I do  :-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KsVu11CSrQ

©2024 Curry Recipes