16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 154404 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2013, 03:24 PM »
Forum rules

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, etc.

Offline BIR-TY

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2013, 03:25 PM »
youre on the money george, this is what makes cr0 exciting ffs ::)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2013, 04:04 PM »
As all of this bickering and childish back biting has got us nowhere, can we go back to the topic gentlemen.
Thank's  :-*

Les

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Guys lets get back on topic.
Not sure where this thread is going as this recipe is effectively redundant given BB1 revised the recipe and posted a new thread.

Perhaps this should be locked as there is a new recipes with less oil.

Stew

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:20 PM by Admin »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2013, 06:34 PM »
...Perhaps this should be locked...

I think that would be the best policy.

Try as I might, I can't find any trace of a "Taste of India" T/A in Bargeddie, Bargeddie itself is in North Lanarkshire anyway, not Glasgow, the OP has made a couple of revisions to the base gravy recipe "that should not be changed" and last, but not least, the OP has baled out to the other forum.

The recipes suit some and not others - what's the problem? I can't see any reason to get het up over it.

Please put this subject to bed, Stew, and maybe the forum can settle down a bit.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2013, 06:41 PM »

Please put this subject to bed, Stew, and maybe the forum can settle down a bit.

Agreed, as a newcomer to the forum I can't believe what a pan of onions and spices with some oil in can cause.

Offline acrabat

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2013, 06:59 PM »
i just cook the chicken in the big pot of base sauce, no vegetarians to consider in my household

Then you haven't cooked a proper Glasgow (bb1) curry as the spices that the chicken get cooked in are essential to the flavour of the finished curry.
Yes you are right I did not cook a bb1 curry. Having watched curries being made in my favourite local TA's the meat they add is not coloured in any way so I have always aimed for the same. The texture of chicken I am used to from the TA is not like meat that has been fried but much more like meat that has been roasted or boiled.
Anyway for the sake of being thorough I have now tried the BB1 pre cooked chicken. I left the chicken fillets whole during cooking then chopped them up after removing from the oil. The oil itself tasted good and had a good smell, I have kept it to use later, I even dipped some crusty bread in and had a taste, mmm. But, it had a home-made curry smell and much to my disappointment gave my curry a home-made taste. I was not expecting that as the curries I have cooked with the base before were spot on. My guess would be that in the TA a much greater amount of oil would have been used for the same amount of spice giving a much milder taste to the meat and less spice being added to the curry.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2013, 07:06 PM »
Try as I might, I can't find any trace of a "Taste of India" T/A in Bargeddie, Bargeddie itself is in North Lanarkshire anyway, not Glasgow,
The recipes suit some and not others - what's the problem? I can't see any reason to get het up over it.

I think the problem is that some members smell a rat; that it's all one big wind-up or somehow not genuine. I still say the Jury's out but you have to agree, there are several grounds for suspicion, such as no clear identification of the claimed take-away, as you yourself agree.

I can't see how it helps the forum if there's no scrutiny or quality control on what get's posted. If we took everything at face value and lapped it up, how can that be helpful?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2013, 07:16 PM »
I don't know about QC George but I am a member of the "other" forum and I see that BB1 has posted his recipes as fred45 there. His recipes haven't exactly been welcomed without some secpticism there either. It is also of note that another member has posted a criticism of CBM about the way he been carrying out the role of moderator.

Regardless of the accuracy of BB!/fred45's authenticity or how CBM carries out the role of mod I think it's interesting that the other site also has it's moments of disharmony.

Offline acrabat

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I do not want to become involved in speculation about anything other than curry. I don't particularly care about the provenience of BB1' claims. I saw a new take on a base, I made it with a few alterations such as cutting down the coconut slightly and a bit less oil. The results for me were very good. Not perfect, but very good IMO. I intend to make this again with a few more alterations e.g. no sugar, whole onions, sieving chewy style, whole spices added after sieving for a short period, coriander added as a powder at the same stage as turmeric instead of whole. I will try to remember to post back when I do.
cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes