16 (34%)
Good, I will make again
18 (38.3%)
Not for me, there are other Curry Sauces I prefer
13 (27.7%)
Poor, Yucky
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Glasgow curry base sauce  (Read 153726 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow curry base sauce
« Reply #250 on: January 28, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Just to let eveyone know ive recieved 160 emails from my last thread about BB1's base, All are pleased and said they wouldnt cooked anything else

Really ?  I wonder why they haven't reported the same here.
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59 PM »
I made some kind of chicken curry with my BB1 inspired base sauce and 'stage 2' recipe this evening. It was one of the best curries I've made in the past 3 months, and I've made quite a few. It had a delightful more-ish quality, not that I've ever eaten anything similar in a BIR. There again, I've never had a Madras, which is probably nearest. It's a bit frustrating, not being able to compare these best-of personal attempts with dishes produced by other members. I don't really have a benchmark, apart from tastes I enjoy.

That's all a bit wooly George. "some kind of chicken curry"?

If you haven't made a curry to bb1's recipes together with the pre-cooked meat I don't really see the validity of your comments - which I think is what stevejet66 is trying to say.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 28, 2013, 08:12 PM »

Given that all of the names by which we know our BIR curries are completely made-up (I don't mean there is no such place as Madras : I mean that a "Chicken Madras" is not a chicken curry as made in Madras), I think that George's description is a lot more honest than many.  I may choose to claim that I mainly cook Chicken Madras, but in practice whilst what I am aiming at is a Chicken Madras flavour as I know it, that may be completely different to a Chicken Madras as you know it, or as BB1 knows it, and so on.  So I feel inclined to defend George's terminology here.

If you haven't made a curry to bb1's recipes together with the pre-cooked meat I don't really see the validity of your comments - which I think is what stevejet66 is trying to say.

Surely the "validity" of the comments cannot be questioned : they are a perfectly valid comment on what he has done.  Whether they cast useful light on BB1's recipes and methodology is questionable, but an honest report on what one has done is surely to be encouraged, is it not ?

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Yes, BB1 didn't give it a name when, in post #1 on this thread, he said:

CURRY SAUCE  <--------  <--------
TSP GARLIC GINGER PASTE
TSP METHI
TSP TOMATOE PUREE
SOME CHILLI
SOME OF THE BASE SAUCE

NO NEED FOR MIX POWDER OR SALT...EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS IN THE BASE SAUCE

I don't care what it's called. All I know is that the curry I made, inspired by BB1s recipes, tasted very good.

It's called "CURRY SAUCE" George.  ;D

So you did actually make one of his curries then (albeit without the necessary precooked meat). Fair enough.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Just to let eveyone know ive recieved 160 emails from my last thread about BB1's base

Probably all from BB1 and yourself....plus a couple from MYN  ;)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Ok.one way and another today has not been a good day but without boring anybody with the rest of it I did actually bite the bullet and do a 7l bucket of this to spec including precooked chicken done yesterday. I then rolled out two portions of Highland Madras for a four handed tasting.

I am not going to write loads but suffice to say whilst finding the ' base ' reasonably flavoursome albeit a tad oily my suspicions were compounded in that this is not a base gravy but a finished sauce and therefore limiting in how it will effect the taste of any dish it is used with. The Madras was ok for me but the other three tasters were not impressed at all. In fact they really did not like what they described as a tackiness and rawness to the flavour. Might be my cooking, accepted but the final verdict is that I will stick to a 'proper' base in future that can be used as the building block to a multitude of curry delights. Not exactly muck but limited in its potential use and certainly not worth murdering another batch of onions for.

End of and no offence meant to anybody. My post, my opinion and that is the end of that.  :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Just had a quick look on google maps George and you are right, there is does not seem to be a TA with that name anywhere near bargeddie, the closest is in rutherglen. It's funny, I know this area pretty well and can't remember any TA there, only a burger van along from the car sales place. My work is only two mile along the road so if it bugs me I might take a drive

Its not the one in Ruggy, They have about 20 staff and wear black t-shirts. And dont ever buy fish pakora from them either!!! Cheap battered frozen fish, then re-battered with their own over the top!!  :-X  >:(

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2013, 06:47 PM »
And don't ever buy fish pakora from them either!!! Cheap battered frozen fish, then re-battered with their own over the top!!  :-X  >:(

Complimentary Mars bar sandwiched between the two layers of batter, I hope !
** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Complimentary Mars bar sandwiched between the two layers of batter, I hope !
** Phil.

A Scottish delicacy!

Offline Gary R

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Hi I am keen to try your base sauce. Can you provide more details on what you mean by a "Block of coconut cream" is there an equivalent in grams.

Cheers Gaz

©2024 Curry Recipes