Author Topic: Curry Craft: Abdul Kadir Choudhury  (Read 10311 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Craft: Abdul Kadir Choudhury
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 01:11 AM »
On Tuesday I made this chef's version of Lamb Balti and I have to say it is a very nice dish indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2a31aJgZtM

I used minced Garlic and Ginger paste as I didn't have any fresh ginger.  At $55 / kg it is much cheaper to buy the stuff in the jar.

For lamb bones i removed the bones from 2 forequarter (shoulder) chops.  The recipe was made pretty much exactly as specified with the exception that i added the blended base gravy in 2 part stages of roughly 2/3 and 1/3 with a reduction for both additions.  I omitted the additional 300 ml of water and this produced a beautiful thick and flavoursome curry sauce which clings to the lamb pieces.  I wouldn't call it a dry curry but it was close. 

I didn't have a small spice bag or net so I just individually removed the whole Garam Masala spices from the gravy before blending.  I left the Peppercorns and the tops of the cloves in as they were too hard to find or had already disintegrated.

I will be very interested in trying this dish with some of my homemade Balti Paste.  The dish could easily be made using any other Base Gravy if you already have some.  The fact that this recipe uses a single batch from scratch shows that a base gravy can be cooked as a micro batch.  A view I've always espoused.

Picture of the Balti dish is provided.

I also cooked his version of the Staff Curry (Lamb instead of chicken). Mutton or goat would be interesting but not readily available to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPayARpImo

For this I used 5 Lamb forequarter chops cut in half (bone removed from 2).  This is another very tasty dish.  It is hard to say which I preferred.  As you'd expect this staff curry is a no fuss, cook on the side dish.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 05:14 PM »
In the early 90s I took a course of evening classes on Indian cookery.  It was great, 18 weeks long, held by a grumpy Indian lady called Rajnee.  The format was the students turn up one week, watch her cook for a couple of hours and everyone got to try the dishes.  We were given the ingredients list and the following week, we would cook ourselves with her watching and guidance, returning home with a great dinner. 

Anyway, reason for bringing that up is one week she asked if there was a particular dish we would like her to do. I inevitably said vindaloo but remember one guy asked for a Balti, and she was so indignant it was hilarious.

A bucket?? You want me to cook in a bucket?  What is wrong with you? Etc etc

Happy days.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 01:52 AM »
Does anybody have this book and if so, does it have the "Mixed Masala" ingredient list for his 5 spice powder which consists of equal parts nutmeg, mace, garlic powder, ginger powder and a 5th ingredient that I cant understand in his Raan video (Kursi Lamb Leg Roast)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLaqP3HCBc

I'm in the middle of making the marinade and I cannot understand what he is saying.  Watch the video to get an idea why.  It's at 2.48.
Terrible sound is all I'll say.  He is saying dried something powder.

I've asked in the Youtube comments but I'm going to proceed without it for now.  It is only 1/5 tsp in a 2 cup marinade so I doubt it will be significant anyway.

I'll pop a picture in when the marinade is on the meat.  I bought 2 discounted legs of lamb the other day and severed the shanks at the knee.  I'm going to marinate the shanks only as I've already boned the thighs and used some for Souvlaki and the rest is in the freezer in 3 600 - 700 gram bags to use later for whatever.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:09 AM by livo »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 08:29 AM »
Dried papaya powder, a common natural tenderiser.  He pronounces "papaya" with initial stress, an initial schwa and a medial /ɪ/, we (Britons at least) pronounce it with penultimate stress, an initial /æ/ and a medial /aɪ/.
--
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 09:27 PM »
Thank you Phil. Chef has replied to my question, informing that he will provide the answer to the ingredient today. If you are correct, and I'd say you are, it didn't hurt going ahead without it. It may be of benefit to mutton or goat but I used lamb.

Edit, chef reply 15 minutes ago and you were correct Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 08:11 AM »
It's in the oven and it smells fantastic.  I think I'm going to need to do a full leg in the tandoor when the weather warms up a bit and I have enough mouths to feed.  Seriously amazing aroma coming from the kitchen at the moment.

Brown Basmati Rice is soaking and I'm about to start on Owen Money's Bhuna Chicken.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 08:40 AM »
Edit, chef reply 15 minutes ago and you were correct Phil.

That's interesting.  I listened to the video only once, and had no trouble understanding what he was saying — whether this is simply because I have been fortunate in having had greater exposure to sub-continental accents, or whether the sound is clearer to British ears than to Australian I really don't know.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 10:00 AM »
I must have listened to it 10 or 12 times this morning and I couldn't get it but as soon as you'd pointed it out it made sense, and was confirmed.  I guess I was expecting a "spice" and I couldn't make it out.  He's not the clearest orator I've heard.  It is an ingredient I would not have included anyway.  I'm using Australian Lamb, not goat or mutton.

This does not in any way diminish the quality of the dish, which I am about to tuck into.  36 hour marination and 3 hours in the oven.  If you have the chance at a bargain cut of meat, give this a go. It will work with standard shanks if that's all you have.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 10:52 AM »
Sounds good to me, Livo.  That is now two dishes that I have to make — the 1993 chicken curry (but not with 3lb chicken !) and this one.
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 12:32 PM »
He's not the clearest orator I've heard. 

I agree and would go further. I can't recall worse sound on any youtube recipe video. He needs to add sub titles and/or get a better microphone.

©2024 Curry Recipes