Author Topic: GLASGOW TAKEAWAY PRE COOKED CHICKEN MARINADE  (Read 6102 times)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
GLASGOW TAKEAWAY PRE COOKED CHICKEN MARINADE
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:21 PM »
2 LGE ONIONS
2 TBL SPOON CUMIN SEEDS
2 TBL SPOON TURMERIC
1 TSP CHILLI PDR
1 TBL SPOON GARAM MASSALA
1 TBL SPOON CORIANDER PDR
1 TBL SPOON METHI PDR
2 TBL GARLIC GINGER PASTE
FEW SQUIRTS OF LEMON JUICE
1 TSP SALT
1 TBL SPOON TOMATO PUREE
1 TBL SPOON COCONUT PDR
1/2 LITRE OF OIL OR MORE IF DESIRED
2 KG CHICKEN BREAST DICED

METHOD

STEP 1.. FINELY CHOP ONIONS AND FRY IN SOME OF THE OIL TO START WITH
ALONG WITH CUMIN SEEDS UNTIL BROWN

STEP 2..ADD THE REMAINING SPICES AND COOK FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES..AT THIS
POINT ADD MORE OIL IF DESIRED

STEP 3.. ADD CHICKEN AND COAT IN SPICES..ADD MORE OIL AGAIN ..CHICKEN SHOULD
ALWAYS BE COVERED WITH OIL....DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF OIL YOU USE
THE IDEA IS TO COOK THE CHICKEN IN THE OIL...NO WATER

STEP 5..COOK FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR..DO NOT LEAVE THE POT FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME
STIR EVERY 10 MINS...KEEP ON LOW HEAT

CAN BE STORED CHILLED IN A FRIDGE FOR ABOUT 5 DAYS

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: GLASGOW TAKEAWAY PRE COOKED CHICKEN MARINADE
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:00 PM »
I tried this Glasgow deep fried chicken this evening. I don't know why the OP calls it a marinade. Neither do I know why he says it's not deep fried because the chicken is totally covered in oil so, in my book, that makes it deep fried. Anyway, I thought it looked like this recipe had a lot more potential than pre-cooking chicken in water, which I think causes most of the flavour to be sucked out.

It smelt very good whilst cooking and , after 1 hour I served the chicken on a bed of plain boiled rice, into which some of the flavoured oil had been mixed. The chicken thighs were fine with a taste and texture not much different to when I simply grill chicken with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Quite a lot of ingredients go into this Glasgow recipe and I couldn't taste much of a return on my investment. I doubt if I'll bother making it again.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Are you saying you served the Glasgow pre-cook chicken on a bed rice without having added it to a curry?  I'm not a fan of the Glasgow recipes per se, but this is not going to produce good results. It's been preached time memorial, you ought to try it with the recipes it goes with. ???

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Are you saying you served the Glasgow pre-cook chicken on a bed rice without having added it to a curry?  I'm not a fan of the Glasgow recipes per se, but this is not going to produce good results. It's been preached time memorial, you ought to try it with the recipes it goes with. ???

Yes, I served it with rice but with no sauce. It allowed me to gauge much better what the chicken tasted like. Why waste good sauce? I don't agree the chicken would have been transformed by adding sauce. My finding was that it tasted almost the same as when I grill the chicken very simply, so that's what I'll continue to do because it's easier, cheaper, quicker and far more healthy than deep frying.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:15 PM »
Are you saying that the Glasgow pre-cooked chicken tastes no different to plain grilled chicken?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Are you saying that the Glasgow pre-cooked chicken tastes no different to plain grilled chicken?

Yes - the difference to my taste was so slight as to make the Glasgow chicken not worth the cost and effort. The OP used the term "marinade", which it's not. But if I used a marinade + grill or oven, it would almost certainly be MUCH tastier than the Glasgow chicken. I was surprised and disappointed because I had reasonably high expectations.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:57 PM »
This was the only dish from the many posted that stood out for me. So I gave it a go last week.
(Anything steeped in a deep red oil and i'm all a quiver  :P)
Its not deep fried but closer to a confit method of cooking.
The cooking time given is far too long i think as the chicken came out quite solid to the touch but would break like tuna when squeezed or eaten (slight exaggeration)
I thought i might've burnt the spices at one point as i had left them unattended for a few too many minutes between stirs,(they had darkened considerably) but as i couldn't smell any burning, i carried on with the recipe.

The flavour is very moorish  and quite rich with an almost beefiness to it. Reminds me of something that i've cooked before but cant quite put my finger on it. A concentrated stock or meat juices reduced down for a sauce?  ???

Anyway, its a pretty good recipe for pre-cooked chicken.

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31 PM »

Yes, I'm afraid so. I don't know why Frank appears to rate it far more highly.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Made this recipe again the other day and wasn't as good as the first time around. (but still a very good recipe that also makes spiced oil and spice sludge  :D )

The difference was that there was football on.  :P

I'd started it during half-time and should've turned it off when the onions were cooked, but you know how it is sometimes.  ::) ;) (i'm a drummer, i can multitask)

So instead of stopping and waiting for the football to finish i carried on with the spices stage and kept cooking on the very lowest heat, nipping in and out of the kitchen every few minutes.
This is the important stage of the recipe, to cook the spices properly.  Usually, i would take them as far as possible using a moderate heat and never leaving their sight. (harder to tell when on the lowest heat to notice the colour change)

So the answer to your question George,
I don't know why Frank appears to rate it far more highly.

is that I took my spices further than you did.

That was where the rich and intense flavour came from the first time around.

One other thing I noticed after scrolling up, is that there is coconut powder in this recipe. I didn't add that, neither did i see it. Upon further investigation, I've found out there are 3 recipes for this!  ::)
BUT, thats not the main reason why mine was good and Georges not. It would have definitely contributed though because fresh coriander cooked down does add a richness to the curry.

Replace the coconut powder with a handful of fresh coriander and you have the recipe that I used.

Cheers, Frank.  :)

p.s. I doubt whether the original recipe pushes the spices as hard as I did, but it works for me.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:34 PM by DalPuri »

©2024 Curry Recipes