Author Topic: 5L Inox pressure cooker at Aldi, Sunday,  (Read 11265 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 5L Inox pressure cooker at Aldi, Sunday,
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 02:39 PM »
I did buy a Tower 7l Pressure Cooker and the amount of time it took to do a base really didn't make that much difference it's the PSI that you have to look at http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,7651.0.html

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Did anyone else head off down to aldi today for one of these? I did. Nice good quality looking pressure cooker with good instruction booklet. No trivet though, so no prospect of pressure steaming a large gammon joint or potatoes for mash, etc.

Operates at two different pressure settings, 60kPa and 100kPa.

Also, being a sucker for kitchen gadgets I picked up an electric omelette maker and George Foreman "lean mean grilling machine" at the same time! Sweet :)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Did anyone else head off down to aldi today for one of these? I did. Nice good quality looking pressure cooker with good instruction booklet. No trivet though, so no prospect of pressure steaming a large gammon joint or potatoes for mash, etc.

Operates at two different pressure settings, 60kPa and 100kPa.

Also, being a sucker for kitchen gadgets I picked up an electric omelette maker and George Foreman "lean mean grilling machine" at the same time! Sweet :)

Sounds as though you've got yourself a real bargain, there, NJ. I had to use an online conversion tool to covert kPa to PSI, and those figures work out at approx. 8.7PSI and 14.5PSI, which is excellent.

I'm still getting used to my Kuhn Rikon Duromatic, and while not quite the bargain you've bagged, I'm still finding myself shaking my head in disbelief at how quickly (and how well) it cooks.

Made a meltingly tender lamb stew last night using scrag end (neck) in 20 minutes.

Not only do pressure cookers produce great tasting food, but you save a hell of a lot on electricity/gas, and save your wallet and the planet at the same time.

Marvellous....

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Did anyone else head off down to aldi today for one of these? I did. Nice good quality looking pressure cooker with good instruction booklet. No trivet though, so no prospect of pressure steaming a large gammon joint or potatoes for mash, etc.   Operates at two different pressure settings, 60kPa and 100kPa.

Glad you're pleased with it, NJ : you should be able to pick up a suitable trivet at any large oriental cash-and-carry (e.g., See Woo) for peanuts.

Less convinced about those, and in particular the George Foreman grill : the number of those that end up on Freecycle, Freegle and in charity shops has always suggested to me that they are usually of ephemeral interest : and, to be honest, why customers are attracted to buy kitchen goods endorsed by a former boxer never ceases to perplex me.  I wouldn't normally consider any item with so-called "celebrity" endorsement, simply because it is clear that said "celebrity" is making money simply by allowing his/her name to be associated with an item with which he or she usually has no connection whasoever other than purely pecuniary (and hence the price is inflated to compensate for this), so for me (e.g.,) Jamie Oliver items are a no-no, but an endorsement by a /boxer/ for a kitchen goods ?  The world is (going) crazy !

** Phil.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Well I actually thought it might be good for chicken tikka Phil

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Well I actually thought it might be good for chicken tikka Phil

Well, I genuinely hope that it is : having only ever achieved near-perfect tandoori chicken and chicken tikka over a charcoal-fired barbecue, I am always keen to learn of alternatives that can be successfully use during the winter months.  Let us know how you get on with it !

** Phil.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Bought one of the Aldi pressure cookers today and all looks good  :) ' made in China '  :-\

ps, just noticed the Aldi pressure cooker is exactly the same ( other than the colour of the button on the handle ) as the BEEM ones on Amazon,even the writing on the handles is the same  ???
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BEEM-F1000-650-X-Press-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B004EHJBJG/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1358113049&sr=1-3

But Beem don't seem to do a 5 litre one. :-\
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:06 PM by emin-j »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 09:33 PM »
Bought one of the Aldi pressure cookers today :  ' made in China '  :-\
1 344 130 000 people can't be wrong :)
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes