Author Topic: GLASGOW FRIED RICE  (Read 13947 times)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: GLASGOW FRIED RICE
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23 PM »
This is pilau rice not fried rice.

I wouldnae' recommend expressing that view tae forcefully in Sauchiehall Street, laddie ...

It is is pilau but if your from Glasgow it's fried rice..Hence GLASGOW FRIED RICE lol

Offline BIR-TY

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26 PM »
but its still pilau rice
A wise man knows what it is; a wiser man knows what to call it in Sauchiehall Street if he doesn't want to be on the wrong end of a Glasgow handshake . . .

and a real man will say what it is despite the over stated, over opinionated nature of a pissed up local

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 11:47 PM »
I know turmeric can add a "flavour" but I'd rather have the turmeric flavour and no chemicals ...
Well, I don't share this perspective, but even if I did it is worth bearing in mind that (a) all foodstuffs are made up of nothing but chemicals (see the late Prof. Jack Pridham's "Chemophilia" for a rigorous debunking of the "all chemicals are evil" myth, by an internationally famous biochemist), and (b) many modern food colourings are directly derived from natural foodstuffs (e.g., Queen brand natural extracts for colouring food & drinks, where the yellow is extracted from turmeric) : Queen brand, incidentally, is itself an Australian company, so you should have no problem sourcing some).

** Phil.
If you want to add turmeric to your rice then that's fine but it won't be traditional Glasgow fried rice...I work in in an Indian takeaway food colouring is used in about everything from curry's to pakora massalas....etc..maybe better sticking to fish and chips..

I think what members are missing is bigboaby1 giving a recipe from the takeaway where he works and the way it is done in Glasgow - I use turmeric all the time - but im not making the Glasgow version like bigboaby1 has posted.

best, Rich

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 11:51 PM »
and a real man will say what it is despite the over stated, over opinionated nature of a pissed up local
Glasgow Infirmary A&E is full of "real men", BIR-TY : 389 attendances per 1000 head of population in 2008/9.  Personally I'd far prefer to accept that in Glasgow it's called "fried rice" than insist that it should be called "pulao rice" and then become just another statistic.  There's also the rather interesting psychological effect of being surrounded by people all of whom call something the same thing (but not the same thing that you or I would call it) : I remember queueing for fish-and-chips in Stornoway, and hearing everyone in front of me asking for a "fish supper".  "Fish supper ?!", I thought to myself : "No way am I going to call it that -- it's bl@@dy 'fish and chips', as every southerner knows".  So, I got to the front of the queue and opened my mouth, fully planning to say "Fish and chips, please".  And what words came out ?  "Fish supper, please".  Just couldn't stop myself :(

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:43 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46 AM »
Glasgow Infirmary A&E is full of "real men", BIR-TY : 389 attendances per 1000 head of population in 2008/9.  Personally I'd far prefer to accept that in Glasgow it's called "fried rice" than insist that it should be called "pulao rice" and then become just another statistic.  There's also the rather interesting psychological effect of being surrounded by people all of whom call something the same thing (but not the same thing that you or I would call it) : I remember queueing for fish-and-chips in Stornoway, and hearing everyone in front of me asking for a "fish supper".  "Fish supper ?!", I thought to myself : "No way am I going to call it that -- it's bl@@dy 'fish and chips', as every southerner knows".  So, I got to the front of the queue and opened my mouth, fully planning to say "Fish and chips, please".  And what words came out ?  "Fish supper, please".  Just couldn't stop myself !

** Phil.
Don't think i'll post anymore recipes guys this is getting to be hard work..what next death threats..over a curry...  I'm not taking any chances. ....going back to Facebook less hastle

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Bigboaby1

Please reconsider that. I am sure that the vast percentage of members genuinely appreciate your efforts and the alternative cuisine that you offer. There will always be banter on forums and the written word will continue to be misinterpreted but for the most part no offence is meant. Yes, there will always be the odd one who will seek confrontation in everything anybody else seems to say. Just ignore them. That is the stance I have now taken on here.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline BIR-TY

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Glasgow Infirmary A&E is full of "real men", BIR-TY : 389 attendances per 1000 head of population in 2008/9.  Personally I'd far prefer to accept that in Glasgow it's called "fried rice" than insist that it should be called "pulao rice" and then become just another statistic.  There's also the rather interesting psychological effect of being surrounded by people all of whom call something the same thing (but not the same thing that you or I would call it) : I remember queueing for fish-and-chips in Stornoway, and hearing everyone in front of me asking for a "fish supper".  "Fish supper ?!", I thought to myself : "No way am I going to call it that -- it's bl@@dy 'fish and chips', as every southerner knows".  So, I got to the front of the queue and opened my mouth, fully planning to say "Fish and chips, please".  And what words came out ?  "Fish supper, please".  Just couldn't stop myself !

** Phil.
Don't think i'll post anymore recipes guys this is getting to be hard work..what next death threats..over a curry...  I'm not taking any chances. ....going back to Facebook less hastle

don't stress it bigbaby1, I was only having a bit of fun with Phil,

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 09:18 AM »
don't stress it bigbaby1, I was only having a bit of fun with Phil,

Indeed.  The whole thing was light-hearted, and in no way meant to detract from your recipes, which are clearly of great interest to many.  Please keep posting, Bigboaby : even we poor Sassenachs are capable of appreciating good GIR ("Glaswegian Indian Recipes"), and don't all live on "skinking ware that jaups in luggies" :)

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:29 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01 AM »
but its still pilau rice
yes yes yes guys it's still pilau rice but in Glasgow we call it fried rice.. please please do not come back on and say "but its still pilau rice or i'll shoot my computer

On the subject of Turmeric once again...Fried rice..oops sorry Pilau rice should be aromatic Turmeric is not an aromatic spice... ..I used turmeric for years to colour my rice but after working in an Indian takeaway i was told no....yelLow food colouring only.. and this is from a chef who has had 25 years of experience of working in Scotlands restaurants and takeaway's.. Who am i to argue with him and by the way he's right

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 11:11 AM »
On the subject of Turmeric once again...Fried rice..oops sorry Pilau rice should be aromatic Turmeric is not an aromatic spice... ..I used turmeric for years to colour my rice but after working in an Indian takeaway i was told no....yelLow food colouring only.. and this is from a chef who has had 25 years of experience of working in Scotlands restaurants and takeaway's.. Who am i to argue with him and by the way he's right

And I agree with him.  For me, pulao rice is flavoured with spices such as star anise, Indian bay, cardamom, cinnamon or faux cinnamon, kala jeera, fennel, and optionally one or two cloves.  Colouring is done with small quantities of dyes that impart no flavour, and the colours are kept separate until the rice is served.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes