Author Topic: GLASGOW FRIED RICE  (Read 13949 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: GLASGOW FRIED RICE
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 11:31 AM »
yes yes yes guys it's still pilau rice but in Glasgow we call it fried rice.. p

It's so good of you to post these recipes and I'm very keen to try some, or all, of them. They look promising to me. Frankly, I don't care what these recipes are called - all I'm interested in, is what they taste like! As others have said, please don't be offended by a bit of light-hearted banter on here.

And please, please, please answer my question on the other thread about base, as to whether you mean level, rounded or heaped amounts when you mention a chef's spoon. If I get that wrong, it could throw the whole thing out, and I want to give your recipes the best shot.

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Jesus H Christ here we go again....

I remember Panpot posting recipes on this forum a while back and him getting pretty upset at the questions he was getting asked.  Some fair and valid, others just nonsense.

Here we have a guy going out of his way to post the recipes he PERSONALLY uses in a TA and they are being questioned or having comments made about what they call an item on the menu.  These are FACTS that you are questioning, not something that's subjective and up for discussion.

I can understand critical comments like, "too much oil for my liking" etc (in which case don't try it but if you do you cannot comment on the recipe as you didn't follow it), but to say something is not actually what they are telling you its sold as is a little much.  How quick we are to forget about regional variation; if if can happen for taste, why not its name?

As we are all trying to communicate only by typing, we need to appreciate that we don't have the benefit of hearing tone and seeing body language when it's being said - that way we can pick up on sarcasm or when it's a joke.  Hey we can even use the smileys to help  :D 

I would hope that miscommunications do not hack off the originator of any submission to the point that they stop bothering because it's just not worth it.  This goes for the other submissions that are dotted around the site, some of the comments/questions are pretty ridiculous, regardless of experience, come on chaps and chappettes! 

Sorry, rant over!  :P

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 02:18 PM »
Irrespective of what it's called in Glasgow, this is pilau rice and pointing that out shouldn't be a reason to start throwing your toys out of the pram - this is a forum for discussion about all things curry after all. But that's by the by and no-one has answered my perfectly reasonable question, i.e. if this pilau rice is called fried rice, then what is fried rice called?

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 03:49 PM »
You're all arguing what to call this rice but noone notices that the ingredients mention yellow food colouring but the method doesn't say what to do with it ... it only talks about the red food colouring.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 03:57 PM »
You're all arguing what to call this rice but noone notices that the ingredients mention yellow food colouring but the method doesn't say what to do with it ... it only talks about the red food colouring.

/Are/ all arguing ?  Last post (before yours)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Ok, then. But what about the orange food colour ? ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Ok, then. But what about the orange food colour ? ;)

Orange, schmorange : vhat does it matter so long as you love your mother ?!

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 04:07 PM »
I sure do love my mother, whatever that's supposed to mean.

Anyway, I guess I'm the only one who is buggered when an ingredients list doesn't match the method.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 04:12 PM »
I sure do love my mother, whatever that's supposed to mean.

It's a stereotypical Jewish traditional response expressing much the same sentiments as "whatever" does today ...

Anyway, I guess I'm the only one who is buggered when an ingredients list doesn't match the method.

It's pretty clear to me that this is meant to yield yellow rice with red grains, so just add the yellow food colouring at the same time as the water.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes