Author Topic: Curries using Glasgow base  (Read 31071 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curries using Glasgow base
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 10:23 PM »
So you start from a cold pan add GG tom paste methi etc . Then the base is used instead of the oil
to cook them
Is that correct ?

Yes that's correct.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:35 PM »
cheers jb

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 12:02 AM »
So you start from a cold pan add GG tom paste methi etc . Then the base is used instead of the oil
to cook them
Is that correct ?YES A DRY PAN..........If you think the sauce is not oily enough you can add some half way through cooking process or if you think it's too thick.. Adding oil will loosen the base even more..If your using oil try and make sure it is seasoned...The oil from my Glasgow pre cooked chicken is ideal..You'll probably find you won't need it as there is generally enough oil in the base.. It's only an option.. At this moment in time i would just stick with original recipe until you come familiar with it...BB1

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 06:57 AM »
Thanks Mr Big
Loud and clear will do some seasoned chicken as well  ;)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Sorry Michael i just assumed most members new what amount a chef spoon could hold

1 ROUNDED CHEF SPOON 3 TBLS
1 HEAPED CHEF SPOON   4 TBLS
1 LEVEL CHEF SPOON     2 TBLS

My measures in my recipe are heaped

Hopefully now we can put this discussion to bed now before someone dies..I can see it's upsetting a lot of people..

I'm just in awe of the interest in my base sauce....It might be what your looking it might not, but have fun in making it.. That's what cooking's all about........enjoy

BB1

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Good Thread bigboaby1

I guess this is a Pakistani Take Away your working at in Glasgow?
Would be good if you could post some pics or video capture of this base in action.

I'm just curious, as its so thick, what is it like after sitting, keeping hot on the stove top for a few hours during service,
do they add more oil or water, because its still a Garabi and 100% Onion, it will still tend to settle.

All very interesting, as I'd like to know how the Pakistani/Punjabi do it, as my knowledge is mainly Bangladeshi

cheers Chewy

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Sorry Michael i just assumed most members new what amount a chef spoon could hold

My measures in my recipe are heaped

That's all we needed BB1. There are different sizes of chef's spoon so hopefully you can understand why it's important.

Offline pauly58

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Sorry lads, not for me. It looks like you need a knife & fork to eat the sauce, I prefer my sauce more liquid than that.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 01:48 PM »

Thanks for that. I now understand that when you said 1 chef spon full in your base recipe, you meant 1 heaped chef's spoon. And when you said half a chef's spoon you meant half a heaped chef's spoon, which probably equals just over 1 level chef's spoon. Is that right? For anyone who's getting fed up with this subject, I'm sorry, but I consider the difference in quantities to be significant and I want to get it right.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Sorry lads, not for me. It looks like you need a knife & fork to eat the sauce, I prefer my sauce more liquid than that.

I like both thick (or 'bhuna' style) and runnier sauces, but the latter seems to be a bit of a 'Brit' thing (if such a term still exists). But whatever part of the country you come from, most if us are gravy heads, yet if you've been lucky enough to travel throughout India, it's interesting that the concept of runny, gravy-like sauces are alien to many.

North to south, in my travels I found that many dishes tended towards the 'dry' end of the scale. (Though in such a huge country, it's impossible to be definitive.)

Anyway, whatever your preference, as Bigboaby points out, it's easy to tailor the dish to your personal requirements. Too thick? Add more liquid or oil, etc...

©2024 Curry Recipes