Author Topic: Curries using Glasgow base  (Read 31249 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curries using Glasgow base
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Taz is Pakistani, and certainly, there's a higher percentage of Pakistani owned/run establishments in Scotland, so the method could be something to do with that...

I must admit I was thinking a similar thing.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Nothing makes me happier than walking into a takeaway and seeing large warming dishes in the cabinet with meat curries covered in a

Offline acrabat

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2013, 06:10 PM »
on the subject of chewytikkas base with more oil, prior to trying bigboabies base ,which I rate very highly, I was making my base as a hybrid of ashoka and chewys method. I used the 5kg bag of onions from lidl, I used 1.5 tblsp of cumin seeds, 2 tbspn garlic paste, 1tbspn methi,3 tbspn ginger paste and 1l of oil, spicing after blending was 2 tbspn tomato puree, 1 tblsp of abduls 8spice and half a block of coconut. Having tried boabies base I reckon my method was giving me an almost identical base. I think I prefer the texture of my chewy/ashoka seived base but that may be because my little cheapo stick blender was unable to get rid of all the bits of coriander husk. Having made both I prefer boabies base and will stick with it from now on but then I only live 10 miles or so from boabies takaway and his base gives me the taste of my local takeaway.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2013, 07:39 PM »
on the subject of chewytikkas base with more oil, prior to trying bigboabies base ,which I rate very highly, I was making my base as a hybrid of ashoka and chewys method. I used the 5kg bag of onions from lidl, I used 1.5 tblsp of cumin seeds, 2 tbspn garlic paste, 1tbspn methi,3 tbspn ginger paste and 1l of oil, spicing after blending was 2 tbspn tomato puree, 1 tblsp of abduls 8spice and half a block of coconut. Having tried boabies base I reckon my method was giving me an almost identical base. I think I prefer the texture of my chewy/ashoka seived base but that may be because my little cheapo stick blender was unable to get rid of all the bits of coriander husk. Having made both I prefer boabies base and will stick with it from now on but then I only live 10 miles or so from boabies takaway and his base gives me the taste of my local takeaway.

Spicing looks a bit light for 5kg onions?
Maybe if you had added the other two of the trinity spices (cumin, coriander and turmeric) in volume along with the cumin, you might've found the taste to be as good or better than Boabys?

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Digging up this thread as it seems to be the most recent. I made a heap of Glasgow Base 2 and I find it's not really spicy enough to be a "stand alone" curry, but I've found an excellent use for it. Local butcher has lamb forequarter chops for AUD 10 a kilo at the moment (around GBP 6 ) so I bought two kilos and did a dead simple slow cook.

First I removed any fat edges and any obvious lumps of fat and hacked the chops into "curry pieces" using my Chinese cleaver.

Took a takeaway container about 450ml of Glasgow, thawed it and mixed it in big bowl with about half a cup of tomato puree (triple), two tablespoons of my roast Sri Lankan Curry powder, TBS of garlic ginger paste, TBS heaped of Kashmiri Chilli and some extra whole aromatic spices - 2 sticks crumbled Cinnamon, some cloves, a couple of Star Anise, 2 sprigs curry leaves.
Then stirred through a 75g sachet of coconut milk powder. I ended up with a semi runny paste.

I soused the curry pieces in it for an hour then layered them in my Antique 2.5L slow cooker, poured any excess paste on top, sealed it up and slow cooked for six hours. Magic flavour and aroma and the meat is perfect. Note no extra oil, water or onions added at all.

I scooped off most of the oil on the surface and it's gone into my "tempered oil" jar to use in Tarkas etc.
The Glasgow sauce really seems to be "Indian onions on tap". ;D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I bet that tasted as good as it looks, beachbum. I just love slow-cooked dishes (especially lamb), as it really allows all the flavours to develop, and, as you say, it allows all the oil to be released.

I'm interested in your use of Sri Lankan roast curry powder, which is something I used to buy from Asian stores when it was called Ceylon curry powder. These days it's hard to get hold of in commercial form - even in Sri Lanka! My daughter has just returned from a holiday there, and couldn't find it anywhere. Whenever she asked for Sri Lankan or Ceylon or roast curry powder, the locals just shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know what she was talking about. Most strange...

Anyway, these days I roast and grind my own, but I'd love to give your recipe a go if you don't mind. (Apologies if you've already posted it.)

©2024 Curry Recipes