Author Topic: Hola!  (Read 2032 times)

Offline MikeStan

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hola!
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Hi everybody,

I've been lurking on here for a little while (there's a lot of great info to take in) but thought i'd say hi as i think i'm going to try to take my curry to the next level this weekend (Wife's out of town and i'm at home looking after our toddler, that leaves me cooking and playing playstation of an evening...). so here's my plan and i'd be happy to hear any tips / comments you veterans have!

we bought a slow cooker recently and it has created the best homemade curries i've been able to acheive so;

i've never gone down the road of making a gravy before but reading everything on here it makes complete sense that a true BIR curry should be done that way. i figure that's probaby the missing texture i can't get making a curry from scratch so I think i'll do an amalgam of the best recipes i've seen here allowing for the spices / veges i've got. i'm thinking; oil, stock, onions, garlic / ginger, carrots, tomatoes, spice blend, seasoning and then let that go for about 6/8 hours. make sure the oil's separated and then blend until it's as smooth as can be. then chuck the whole lot in the fridge over night.

i'll then cook the onons for the curry  in the oil from the gravy, chuck in more garlic, ginger, fresh chillies, new spices (i use rajah madras and trs garam masla plus a generous amount of tumeric, coriander & cumin) and then the bulk ingredients. in my case i'm a vegetarian so it'll be potatoes, cauliflower, carrots and probably a can of chickpeas and just let the lot cook. so then the big difference is that normally i'd add tomato puree and chopped tinned plus water but in this case i'd use my gravy. does that sound right or would you use a combination?

as i said i'll be using a slow cooker for this part as well (excluding browning the onions), it has made such a difference to the way everything gets cooked!

please excuse the rambling /typos, i'm usually fastidious about that but have spent all day running after my daughter so have had a couple of light ales as a reward...

mike.

Offline MikeStan

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hola!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:08 PM »
oh and I'll be sure to add my failsafe bread, rice and dhal tips/recipes to the proper locations. hopefully i can give as well as take!

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Welcome aboard Mike.  This lot on here will have you making top class BIR curry in no time.

Rob  :)

Offline MikeStan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:32 PM »
excellent and thank you!!

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Welcome Mike,

Enjoy the forum, let us know how you get on.

All the best,
Stew

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 01:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum Mike .. I look forward to trying some of your recipes in due course   :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

©2024 Curry Recipes