Author Topic: Beef Brisket Rub  (Read 2311 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Beef Brisket Rub
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:48 PM »
While we're on the subject of Man vs Food and meat that melts and pulls apart, i thought i'd share this simple recipe.
I made this Christmas eve and everyone loved it!  ;D
I made it not as a dinner but to pick at and make sandwiches. I took a random recipe from the internet and just got lucky i think.  ;)
I had no idea how it would turn out as i had never tried a rub like this with brisket. I thought it might be too salty but it was perfect.
Here's the recipe:

2 tablespoons maldon salt
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper (crush fresh peppercorns in the pestle and mortar)
2 teaspoons paprika   (if i had smoked, i would have done half and half)
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves (dried)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon granulated garlic (i used garlic powder)

Sorry, i didnt look at the weight of the meat but it cost between
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:16 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Brisket Rub
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Another promising recipe Frank, thanks for sharing it. Did the site you got the recipe from suggest what to serve it with?

Which to try first, pulled pork or brisket?...... 8)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Another promising recipe Frank, thanks for sharing it. Did the site you got the recipe from suggest what to serve it with?

Which to try first, pulled pork or brisket?...... 8)

Hi Axe,
 I had to search the net for a method as this rub didn't come with one so this recipe is a combination of ingredients and method. I didn't notice any serving suggestions while looking how to cook it, as i only intended it for snacking on  :P
What i did notice on me travels through the web, was that most if not all the other recipes i checked out, used sugar in the rub.
After tasting this you could've sworn there was sugar in there!  :o It was more than sweet enough without sugar. 

Cheers, Frank.  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:27 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:16 PM »
From all the Man v. Food style programs I have seen on Food Network, it's easy to build up the notion that the Americans have sweet teeth. Perhaps the sugars help to caramelise the meat. Although like yourself, I think i'd prefer to leave out any extra sugar.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29 PM »
I love the texture and flavour of beef brisket, so this goes on my "to try" list. It always seems expensive in supermarkets though, for what is supposed to be a "cheaper cut". Maybe some TV chefs have gone and made it trendy (always a license for supermarkets to jack up the margins).

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Use your rub on a pork join de-skined and put it in a slow cooker do not add anything, NO water nothing just your joint.
Cook over night for 10 hours, it is to die for. Once you have pulled it, make a gravy with the juices and mix it in  with the pulled pork.

©2024 Curry Recipes