Author Topic: My Curry Journey  (Read 41228 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: My Curry Journey
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 07:00 PM »
On a roll and looking good Gav. Those bhajis look very red though. I think it is the photo.  ;) never known anyone put red colour in bhajis yet but always a first time. Did you reheat them from cold in the oven? I can never get them as crisp again when I do this.
They are indeed red. I was also looking at dips Onion Bhaji recipe at the same time and his had a bit of orange added for which I picked up the wrong tub. Still they were really good and I'm doing some more tomorrow. I heated them in the oven at 180

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 07:12 PM »
On a roll and looking good Gav. Those bhajis look very red though. I think it is the photo.  ;) never known anyone put red colour in bhajis yet but always a first time. Did you reheat them from cold in the oven? I can never get them as crisp again when I do this.
They are indeed red. I was also looking at dips Onion Bhaji recipe at the same time and his had a bit of orange added for which I picked up the wrong tub. Still they were really good and I'm doing some more tomorrow. I heated them in the oven at 180

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 11:06 PM »

Hahahaha. My hat off to you Sir for admitting that 'error'.  Re the crisping mine have normally also been frozen then defrosted which also does not help I don't think. They're A1 fresh out of the fryer though and a couple normally bite the dust when nobody is looking.

I'll freeze a couple then report back on the reheat as to the difference. As for the couple biting the dust fresh out the fryer, is that not part of the male species genetic makeup?   ;D ;D

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Decided tonight on Chicken Jaipuri http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11591.0.html and basically stuck to the recipe although added some chopped red pepper to the tomato and also some extra chili powder. Was a bit wary when I first tried it but after a couple of spoonfulls, we both decided it was lovely and it'll be definitely be done again. Washed it down with a couple of bottles of Grimbergen. Very nice.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Decided tonight on Chicken Jaipuri http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11591.0.html and basically stuck to the recipe although added some chopped red pepper to the tomato and also some extra chili powder. Was a bit wary when I first tried it but after a couple of spoonfulls, we both decided it was lovely and it'll be definitely be done again. Washed it down with a couple of bottles of Grimbergen. Very nice.

Glad you enjoyed it.. I was given this to do in the test of the month thingy. Yours looks lighter in colour than mine but probs down to photos on here etc.. I thought it too mild for me but very fragrant and missus and other Saturday regulars gave it the thumbs up.  ;) on menu again for tomorrow.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 08:24 PM »

Glad you enjoyed it.. I was given this to do in the test of the month thingy. Yours looks lighter in colour than mine but probs down to photos on here etc.. I thought it too mild for me but very fragrant and missus and other Saturday regulars gave it the thumbs up.  ;) on menu again for tomorrow.

Thats why I put 2 heaped teaspoons of chilli in the mix but I would have still had it hotter. Still very nice though. Chicken Jaflon again at work tomorrow night. Can't wait.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Washed it down with a couple of bottles of Grimbergen. Very nice.

Very appetising looking curry.  May have to hot my takeaway remnants up from last night now. Excellent accompliment with the Grimbergen too  :).  Although i do prefer the Leffe as my staple beer, followed by one or two 8% -9% little numbers. A real good one is triple karmaleit  :P

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 09:10 AM »

Very appetising looking curry.  May have to hot my takeaway remnants up from last night now. Excellent accompliment with the Grimbergen too  :).  Although i do prefer the Leffe as my staple beer, followed by one or two 8% -9% little numbers. A real good one is triple karmaleit  :P

I discovered Grimbergen last year in France. I normally drink beer and find that after a few days of drinking French lager, it becomes like drinking battery acid so I tried the Grimbergen and its fantastic. Everyone whose tried it thinks its great as well. I'll have to try a couple of Leffe again with a curry, sounds like another match made in heaven. Has a recommended beer/lager accompaniments thread been done yet because there's some really nice ones out there now?  My local restaurant of choice gave me  a bottle of King Cobra after we had our Christmas Dinner there (again) and that was really good. Just looking on Google and its brewed in Belgium. With regards to Grimbergen and Leffe I'm not sure of the difference between an Abbey Ale and a lager as I think the Abbey Ales are to me like 'Premium' Lagers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:15 AM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 08:20 AM »
For lunch the other day I tried Titlis Busy Kitchen's Egg and Potato Curry as I've always loved curried potatoes of any sort along with eggs (of any sort). I used a couple of birds eye chillis instead of chili powder and also chucked in a tin of chick Peas (for which I can eat like sweets :P) It turned out quite nice for a lunch and I served it with my first attempt of Pilau rice for which I added a bit to much ghee (and over did the red food colouring) so it was slightly greasy although tasted great. Tonight, I'm going to try the South Indian Garlic Chicken but with some smoked garlic I picked up in the Galloway Smokehouse in Dumfries and Galloway. It smells gorgeous. Along with this I'm doing Dips Bombay Potatoes and some Pilau rice. If the wife likes it I could be posting the results tomorrow and if not, probably tonight :).

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Tonights effort with the last of my CA base was South Indian 'Smoked' Garlic Chicken  with Dips Bombay Potatoes and mushroom pilau. I had to add some extra chicken as my son decided he would eat with us. I thought the curry was lovely (could have been a bit hotter for me though) but the missus said it was a bit to tomato'ee for her. The Potatoes were as good as my local and the rice for a second attempt was fine. The smoked garlic was lovely but I don't really know how much difference it gave the dish. I'll definitely do the curry again but next time it'll have to be at work. This site is the mutts nuts :)

Will have to make some more base next week and I'm thinking of trying either Taz's or the Glasgow one.

©2024 Curry Recipes