Author Topic: My Curry Journey  (Read 41198 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My Curry Journey
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 11:06 AM »
The rice was a batch I had in the freezer.

Holy Cow!  :o

You don't do half measures on the food colourings do you?  ;D

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 11:38 AM »
The rice was a batch I had in the freezer.

Holy Cow!  :o

You don't do half measures on the food colourings do you?  ;D

It was from the first batch of Pilau I ever made and I did go a bit OTT with the colourings hence the 'radioactive look'.  The one on the ceylon furthur back is a better attempt and the next one will be even better.  :) . Still tasted nice though.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Being full of cold I decided to up the heat stakes and make my first Vindaloo. I used CA's version, doubled up as it was for the whole family, with the only difference being slightly less than double the chilli powder and I added a pinch of Methi leaves and also used some tinned potatoes as when I was buying stuff for work in Lidl, they had a reasonably sized tin of new potatoes for 15p. I've had Vindaloo a few times in the past in various places and I have to say this was the best one yet. I'm sitting here still feeling that lovely chilli warmth I get after a good curry. It was served with my normal fragrant pilau I make with the colour turned down from previous attempts, a shop nan and a couple of poppadoms done in the microwave.

Oh and as a footnote, its chicken as always. Reading Spicy's previous post has got my meat juices fired up so I'm going to have to get some beef and lamb to have instead. I cooked the chicken at the start in the pan before I started with the rest of the ingredients as per CA's recipe.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:56 PM by Gav Iscon »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Mmmm, nice !
** Phil.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I've had Vindaloo a few times in the past in various places and I have to say this was the best one yet. I'm sitting here still feeling that lovely chilli warmth I get after a good curry

And yet another person on this forum reporting that what they cook at home easily matches or beats equivalent dishes eaten in restaurants.

No more evidence required in my opinion that all you need to produce restaurant comparable, very enjoyable dishes at home in your own kitchen is all contained on this forum.

And the Vindaloo looks excellent and very appetising indeed!

I'd happily eat it :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2013, 08:56 PM »
On looks, that's the second one tonight that's got my vote.  I'll make do with last night's leftovers  :(

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12 AM »
h4ppy-chris's Staff Curry

Got asked yesterday morning if I would do curry for work last night so it was an ideal opportunity to try out Chris's Staff curry on the fussy f*&%$"s at work. Watched the vid and wrote the recipe down. As it was to feed more people I upped the spices about 2.5 times, used 2kg of boned and skinned legs and 1.5 kilo of Chicken wings, bone in and skin on. I used CA's mix powder as that was what I had most of and also added a couple of tins of spuds as the lads at work are big eaters and the plates are like a bus drivers steering wheel. By the time we got to eat it it had done nearly 3 hours in the pan. It was served with my usual fragrant pilau, microwaved poppadoms and nans from the indian bakers who do 4 for a quid and their still warm when you buy them. It was really really nice and all 7 of us agreed it was the best curry yet we had had at work. For me due to the longer cooking it has a greater depth of flavour than the normal 'fast- food' type bir. A bit like how your normal curries seem to taste better the next day due to the flavours infusing more (in my opinion of course). I'll be trying the Shatkora one next and also Chewy's Bengali Chicken Roast. I think I'll have to invest in a pressure cooker. Anyway here's the photos in the pan and on the plate. Apologies for the plate presentation as someone else served it (with a catapult I think followed by a bollocking from me. There was nearly another portion all over the bench.).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:26 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
Chewy's Bengali Chicken Roast - First Attempt
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 09:55 PM »
I decided to have a go with this this weekend as the missus is away. I did intend to do this at work on Sunday night but I fancied having a trial run which was just as well.  I was working near to my favourite indian suppliers today so called in after work for some meat and a few other items. Cooked some rice and then set to work on the main dish. Cooked it in my new non stick pan as suggested in the recipe and all was going very well until the very end when I went to remove the Bay Leaves and found I had over looked them when setting up the spices. Anyway it was still very good and should be even better next time. My only change next time (apart from adding the Tej Patta  >:( ) will be to tone down the salt a bit as I've never been one for a lot of salt (and thats due to taste not health). But well worth the effort. Pics are in the pan sans bay leaves  >:( and on the plate. Recommended.

Scoffed with a bought nan and a can of Fosters I found in the fridge.

P.S. I would also recommend doing extra chicken as you can't keep you fingers away from it once its deep fried.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
Bengali Chicken Roast Mk 2 and Other Things.
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Yesterday i was up early and decided to have another go at Chewys BCR to take to work to feed 6 of us. I cooked the chicken and sauce separately (this time remembering the bay leaves) and warm both at work and combined them once heated. Another person made his Bombay Aloo. First thing though I put on a pan of Bigboabys Glasgow Base, the latest recipe which takes around 5 hours of cooking. I then made the deep fried chicken which is hard not to eat when it comes out the frier. Finger Lickin Good would be a fair statement. This was cooled and put in the fridge for later. I then made the CBR sauce and some Pilau rice. After the base was ready, I knocked up a Chicken Ceylon for the missus using the glasgow base and CA's Ceylon recipe. She said it was really nice but did'nt think it was much different to the last one I made with CA's base. I'll have to try a Glasgow version of Ceylon to see if there is any difference. Anyway at work I reheated the chicken in foil in the oven and warmed the base. When both were hot enough I folded the chicken into the base and added the lemon juice and milk.Six of us ate it and all said it was fantastic. Its really worth the effort in my opinion if your looking to try something a bit different.

Pictures are Glasgow base start and finish, Chicken Ceylon, the Roast Chicken and Chewys BCR plated with some Bombay potatoes and pilau rice with a shop nan. (in next post)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:28 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Previous Post Continued.

©2024 Curry Recipes