Author Topic: New Glasgow curry base sauce.  (Read 41908 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Glasgow curry base sauce.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 11:22 PM »
thanks SS

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 11:53 PM »
I'm down to my last half litre of base and there's a mob descending on us for Easter so I'll try this version, using 5kg of onions. Noob question: I have a set of stainless steel spoons on a metal ring, when using the Tablespoon measure is that supposed to be heaped, rounded or scraped off flat across the top of the measure?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 12:06 AM »
when using the Tablespoon measure is that supposed to be heaped, rounded or scraped off flat across the top of the measure?

Scraped off flat.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12 AM »
when using the Tablespoon measure is that supposed to be heaped, rounded or scraped off flat across the top of the measure?

Scraped off flat.

woop woop - thanks for common sense!!!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 12:41 AM »
"My measures in my recipes are heaped" : BB1
As you say, thank goodness for common sense (who on earth wants to waste time scraping spices back into the jar ?)
** Phil.

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 01:42 AM »
Also good advice on the other thread, rather than going out and buying five kilos of onions, I'll get six and keep topping, tailing and peeling until I end up with actual five kilos of prepared onions.  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 08:36 AM »
"My measures in my recipes are heaped" : BB1
As you say, thank goodness for common sense (who on earth wants to waste time scraping spices back into the jar ?)
** Phil.

Don't talk daft Phil! You're rapidly going from being barely tolerably arcane to being annoyingly stupid. A TBSP measure is just that - a defined measure and as such has to be levelled off - this is fact and not up for debate.

In the context of this base however bb1 has totally confused the issue. His words are:

1 ROUNDED CHEF SPOON 3 TBLS
1 HEAPED CHEF SPOON   4 TBLS
1 LEVEL CHEF SPOON     2 TBLS
1 SOUP LADEL =125ML
My measures in my recipe are heaped

This was one of the issues with this base if you recall, i.e. the uncertainty of providing ridiculously non standard measures, and you want to perpetuate the uncertainty Phil? Just give it a rest eh, and join the rest of the rational world in using well defined measures.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 08:41 AM »
Also good advice on the other thread, rather than going out and buying five kilos of onions, I'll get six and keep topping, tailing and peeling until I end up with actual five kilos of prepared onions.  :)

If I recall correctly the onion weight is before any topping and tailing (i.e. the weight of whole onions). Further confusion abounds and again demonstrates the need for common sense measures such as, in this case, giving the weight of prepared onion after peeling and topping and tailing.

Offline BIR-TY

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 09:21 AM »
I agree, asking for defined measurements is not asking too much

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I totally agree with SS on the use of accurate measurements. There are enough variables in even a well written recipe without compounding things further.

Sure when you know what you are cooking and have made something many times you won't need that level of accuracy but a recipe is a form of communication and should be as accurate as possible.

When I made ifindforu's base sauce I used double the spicing due to confusion over the size of chef spoon and really I wasted a lot of time.

Paul

©2024 Curry Recipes