Author Topic: New Glasgow curry base sauce.  (Read 42017 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: New Glasgow curry base sauce.
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 11:33 AM »
"My measures in my recipes are heaped" : BB1
As you say, thank goodness for common sense (who on earth wants to waste time scraping spices back into the jar ?)
** Phil.

Don't talk daft Phil! You're rapidly going from being barely tolerably arcane to being annoyingly stupid. A TBSP measure is just that - a defined measure and as such has to be levelled off - this is fact and not up for debate.

Beachbum asked :

I'll try this version, using 5kg of onions. Noob question: I have a set of stainless steel spoons on a metal ring, when using the Tablespoon measure is that supposed to be heaped, rounded or scraped off flat across the top of the measure?

and the answer you gave was :

when using the Tablespoon measure is that supposed to be heaped, rounded or scraped off flat across the top of the measure?

Scraped off flat.

The answer you gave was completely wrong, and utterly misleading.  Beachbum was asking about Bigboaby's recipe, and Bigboaby himself had clearly stated "My measures in my recipes are heaped".  If you had bothered to do any research at all, you would have realised that your answer was incorrect and that you were giving Beachbum false and misleading information.  Instead you just trotted out the answer you would have /liked/ to be true, and then, when this was pointed out, rather than apologise to Beachbum for having misled him, chose yet again to attack the messenger who had pointed out your error and recycle yet again your never-ending diatribe about metric units and flat measures.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:49 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I'll openly admit Phil that in my eagerness to help out I forgot the context in which the question was being asked. I therefore gave the technically correct - but contextually incorrect - answer that tablespoons (or any other measure for that matter) are levelled off measures.

Now, are you man enough to admit your stubborn unwillingness to accept agreed standards?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 12:09 PM »
I'll openly admit Phil that in my eagerness to help out I forgot the context in which the question was being asked. I therefore gave the technically correct - but contextually incorrect - answer that tablespoons (or any other measure for that matter) are levelled off measures.

Thank you.  I can hear Tony Blair and Lance Armstrong using exactly the same words  ;)

Now, are you man enough to admit your stubborn unwillingness to accept agreed standards?

Of course : there has never been any denial on my part that I have zero interest in adopting metric units in the context of recipes, nor have I ever sought to deny that my spoonsful are rounded.  These are simply incontestible facts.  The only question at issue is whether members should be /required/ to use metric measures and flat spoonsful, and of course I would argue "most certainly not" : each member should be free to post his/her recipes using whatever units he/she actually uses, but as a courtesy to other members should indicate whether their spoonsful are flat, rounded or heaped.  And of course no-one should mislead by using spoonsful in real life but posting as if they have used scales or a balance : the frequently adduced equality "1 teaspoon = 5ml = 5gm" should be treated with the contempt it deserves -- it is at best an approximation and at worst a serious source of error.  In other words, if you use a teaspoon, say you used a teaspoon : don't pretend you used an analytical balance or a calibrated volumetric measure by presenting your measurements in gm or ml.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:05 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 01:05 PM »
It turns out you're wrong anyway Phil.

"1 HEAPED CHEF SPOON   4 TBLS...

...My measures in my recipe are heaped"

His measures are heaped and he has given a more accurate 1heaped = 4 TBSP, so I was correct in saying the measures are actual tablespoon measures, i.e. levelled off measures and not heaped as you suggest.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 01:13 PM »
It turns out you're wrong anyway Phil.

"1 HEAPED CHEF SPOON   4 TBLS...

...My measures in my recipe are heaped"

His measures are heaped and he has given a more accurate 1heaped = 4 TBSP, so I was correct in saying the measures are actual tablespoon measures, i.e. levelled off measures and not heaped as you suggest.

So BB1 says that his measured are heaped, and you say they are flat.  Who would you recommend we trust : the author of the recipe, or someone who has never seen him cook ?

** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19 PM »
This is quality reading. I think I have just pm'ed myself!

Rob  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 01:30 PM »
So BB1 says that his measured are heaped, and you say they are flat.  Who would you recommend we trust : the author of the recipe, or someone who has never seen him cook ?

The measures originally given for bb1's base were only given in chef's spoon measures, which he later clarified as being heaped. He later added further clarification by translating his chef's spoon measures into tablespoon measures, i.e. true, levelled off tablespoons - refer to his table.

So, just in case you still don't get it, the measures in his base are heaped, the tablespoon equivalents are not (i.e. they are levelled off)!  ::)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 01:38 PM »
the measures in his base are heaped, the tablespoon equivalents are not

Had you said that in the first place, with the same clarity and precision, no-one (including myself) would have been confused.
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50 PM »
the measures in his base are heaped, the tablespoon equivalents are not

Had you said that in the first place, with the same clarity and precision, no-one (including myself) would have been confused.
** Phil.

Yes, because my original statement, i.e. "Scraped off flat." was a model of obfuscation wasn't it Phil?  ::)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Sheesh, are you guys bored or something?

©2024 Curry Recipes