Author Topic: New Glasgow curry base sauce.  (Read 41926 times)

Online ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Glasgow curry base sauce.
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Did he say why he never included the bhaji oil initially whandsy?

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Did he say why he never included the bhaji oil initially whandsy?

No mate, it was just a quick pm as I am aware that a lot of discussions revolve around it. I've deleted it now but if I remember correctly, the tone intimated that it would be something that was obviously done to save wastage

W

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2013, 11:33 PM »
Got a batch of this base cooking up now, I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype that surrounds it; it certainly smells good at least!

Just as an initial test I'm using the 3.5kg version on which I've thirded all the ingredients (1.16kg onions.... 1 tsp instead of 1 tbsp etc)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2013, 07:50 AM »
that's the thing about hype - it is rarely equalled by reality.

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2013, 02:26 PM »
I've tried two basic madras style curries with it now and it's a tough one to judge - it's very flavoursome, maybe overpoweringly so due to the lack of watering down but it does give a very good result.  I'm going to try and do a taste test against the punjabi c2g base and a takeaway from my favourite local BIR - see which gets closest

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2013, 08:46 PM »
I've tried two basic madras style curries with it now and it's a tough one to judge - it's very flavoursome, maybe overpoweringly so due to the lack of watering down but it does give a very good result.  I'm going to try and do a taste test against the punjabi c2g base and a takeaway from my favourite local BIR - see which gets closest

OMG. When will peeps catch on that this is not a base but a finished sauce. That is why it is thicker. That is why it smells and tastes so much 'better'. That is why you cannot compare it a true building block BIR type base. .

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Quote from: RubyDoo
OMG...  :o

i'm not comparing sauce to base, i'm comparing the finished article using two different methods - if the "glasgow" sauce with its additions to make it a madras compares more favourably to my taste buds in replicating my local BIRs fayre than for example a c2g madras made in the more conventional way using base and mix powder then i'll stick with it - if not, then I won't but I see little difference between the ingredients in this 'finished sauce' and that of some bases... onions, peppers, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and spices, he's just omitted the watering down stage as far as I can see  ???

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Quote from: RubyDoo
OMG...  :o

i'm not comparing sauce to base, i'm comparing the finished article using two different methods - if the "glasgow" sauce with its additions to make it a madras compares more favourably to my taste buds in replicating my local BIRs fayre than for example a c2g madras made in the more conventional way using base and mix powder then i'll stick with it - if not, then I won't but I see little difference between the ingredients in this 'finished sauce' and that of some bases... onions, peppers, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and spices, he's just omitted the watering down stage as far as I can see  ???

Missed point here is that a base will give you the option to adapt / construct a curry in many different ways and to many differing tastes. The sauce thing will limit the final dish due to its existing depth of flavours etc.   

Each to their own.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes