Author Topic: New Glasgow curry base sauce.  (Read 41911 times)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Glasgow curry base sauce.
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 07:15 AM »
Anyway back on topic, I made a version of the base - I went to buy 6 kg of onions - Aldi had a good special on 1kg nets of smallish onions that I guess would be similar to the Dutch Onions used in the UK.

After putting 3 nets in the trolley I thought "no way on this planet"  ;D so I halved the recipe and as you can see I've ended up with heaps of it anyway - these are 750ml T/A containers so I guess about five litres overall, with a cup left in the stockpot which I'm going to use in a Brinjal Bhaji - when I walked round to the supermarket just now to get the containers they had lovely young firm eggplant on sale.

I note there's no Brinjal in the side dish forum - when I lived in Cardiff I loved the BB and also the Bindi Bhaji being a bit of a vego student in those days and I'd love to recreate the roasted oily saucy dish I remember. If it turns out I'll post in the sides forum . :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 07:32 AM »
I note there's no Brinjal in the side dish forum - when I lived in Cardiff I loved the BB and also the Bindi Bhaji being a bit of a vego student in those days and I'd love to recreate the roasted oily saucy dish I remember. If it turns out I'll post in the sides forum . :)
There never used to be until I posted mine  :D

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,7778.0.html

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 09:31 AM »
Missed that one, CH mine turned out but a shadow of that but not too bad  - I'll try again  ;D ;D

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know that I made my SECOND batch of this base up yesterday.  First time I made a half batch of the 7kg recipe.  Yesterday I made a 5kg batch up.  I noted that the sugar contend was probably a bit sweeter than the original recipe (mistake in the conversions I suppose).  Either way I only added 1tbs instead of the suggested 2 - I could always add it later!  The result was pretty much the same as my first attempt.  I do like this base, despite the comments made by some, and will continue to enjoy it as my base of choice. It gives me a taste of home that is familiar, I don't care if it appears too oily or it can't be decent because of x or y reasons, it's good.  The 5kg version produced 20 portions for me.  This base does produce results that are different to some establishments I've eaten in and yet is very similar to others so if you're not getting close to the results you're looking for I'd try this one?  The onions cost me

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Hi all, whats the smallest batch of this 5kg base anyone has made with good results?

This is a good example of scaling a base,where we know the base should taste more like curry sauce & not the better known recipes

When its compared to others available, it doesn't have much spice/GG content ???....scale down the 5kg to 2.5 & it has less than ca's & slightly less oil ::)

halving the 5kg recipe will not produce the required results, for anyone thinking of having a go, the rest of the ingredients will need adjusted

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17 PM »

When its compared to others available, it doesn't have much spice/GG content ???....scale down the 5kg to 2.5 & it has less than ca's & slightly less oil ::)

BB's base has more than CA's?  Seriously?!?!?! After all the crap that's been written here, even after the recipe got tweaked?  I give up! 

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 07:36 PM »
BB's base has more than CA's?  Seriously?!?!?! After all the crap that's been written here, even after the recipe got tweaked?  I give up!

BB's slightly less...here's what i posted earlier

ca's(to name a one, there are others) 600gm onion + 125ml oil- if i wanted to make 5kg version ..how much oil should i use? ???...1ltre ?

Keep the vids coming

ELW

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 08:24 PM »
By my calculations that means that CA's base would work out at 1.458L of oil.  I'm speechless...BB1 will be just slightly peeved as the oil content was the factor in all the bleating and whinging.

:o

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 08:27 PM »
BB's slightly less...here's what i posted earlier

It has about a third more.

7kg onions / 600g = 11.6. 2L oil / 11.6 = 172ml.

600gm onion + 125ml oil- if i wanted to make 5kg version ..how much oil should i use? ???...1ltre ?

Slightly more.

5kg / 600g = 8.33. 125ml x 8.33 = 1041ml

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 08:30 PM »
By my calculations that means that CA's base would work out at 1.458L of oil.  I'm speechless...BB1 will be just slightly peeved as the oil content was the factor in all the bleating and whinging.

You continue to ignore the crucial point. Unlike other bases and methods the Glasgow base does not (at least in my experience) release the oil that it contains. So the fact that it may contain slightly less than other bases is moot because it all stays in the finished curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes