Author Topic: New Glasgow curry base sauce.  (Read 41734 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Glasgow curry base sauce.
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 08:47 PM »
disregard the 7kg batch as that has been corrected, as i posted earlier
 The revised 5kg comes in less, but i doubt if many have made a 5kg batch of ca's base

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 08:50 PM »
By my calculations that means that CA's base would work out at 1.458L of oil.  I'm speechless...BB1 will be just slightly peeved as the oil content was the factor in all the bleating and whinging.

You continue to ignore the crucial point. Unlike other bases and methods the Glasgow base does not (at least in my experience) release the oil that it contains. So the fact that it may contain slightly less than other bases is moot because it all stays in the finished curry.

???? My first photos of the results clearly showed oil at the side of the pan and sitting marbled on top of the curry so I think I did get the point being made.  Also oil separates from the base too so giving another opportunity to skim some away.  The amount of coconut block used could also be contributing to the greasiness comments some are making.

Regards,

Martin

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52 PM »
I had plenty oil coming out on the plate ss, but it was almost folding over like a cloth in the pan. The chilli & methi fried away in the initial chefs spoon i added, not a ladle.I'm putting that down to my own version. With a bit of tinkering i think it has potential to create something closer to what i'm used to

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 09:03 PM »
So the fact that it may contain slightly less than other bases is moot because it all stays in the finished curry.

It doesn't contain less oil that CA's, it (the Glasgow base) contains about a third more scaled up on the onions. But the major difference is that the Glasgow base contains a fraction of the water CA's contains.

Glasgow base: 7Kg of onions to 2L of oil and 2L of water.

CA's would be (scaled on the onions, 7kg to 600g)

7kg of onions to 1450ml oil but 18560ml of water.

HUGE difference in dilution.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 09:07 PM »
By my calculations that means that CA's base would work out at 1.458L of oil.

Hum!

Glasgow base: 7kg of onions to 2L of oil.

CA's base: 600g of onions to 125ml of oil.

7Kg/600g = 11.6. 125ml x 11.6 = 1450ml of oil.

The last time I looked 2L was more than 1.450L.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Glasgow base: 7kg of onions to 2L of oil.
obsolete recipe by the original poster, should have been 1.5 ltrs...my point is the revised 5kg version, of which i made exactly half batch, comes in less in oil content than ca's(if you made a 5kg..it may never have been designed for that) & was still greasy...it may not be the oil at all...i've had exactly same problems with Ashoka base(very similar)& i've never found ca base greasy

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 09:21 PM »
obsolete recipe by the original poster, should have been 1.5 ltrs...

Now I'm getting confused.

1.5L of oil per 7Kg of onions or 5kg? If it's 7kg then its the same ratio of oil per onions, if it's 5kg of onions then it's less oil than CA's but...don't forget the massive water ratio of CA's compared to the Glasgow base, that's significant.

Because CA's base contains so much more water, the amount of oil per portion will be significantly less.

my point is the revised 5kg version, of which i made exactly half batch, comes in less in oil content than ca's

How much oil does the 5kg version use? 1.5L? As I said, don't forget the much increased water ratio of CA's, it's quite significant.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 09:29 PM »
1ltr 5kg onion -2 litres water-could vary

7kg original should have been 1.5ltre oil rather than 2ltr -ca base 7kg would be around 1.5 also

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 09:34 PM »
1ltr 5kg onion -2 litres water-could vary

It could.

But CA's base contains over 13 litres of water in it for a 5kg / 600g onion ratio.

That's significantly diluted, so much so that 1.5L of oil per 13L of water means you're getting far less oil per portion than the Glasgow base, regardless of the fact that CA's contains more oil.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 10:19 PM »
That's significantly diluted, so much so that 1.5L of oil per 13L of water means you're getting far less oil per portion than the Glasgow base, regardless of the fact that CA's contains more oil.

Agreed they are two different bases

©2024 Curry Recipes