Author Topic: So which BIR style dish have you cooked that comes closest to your local BIRs?  (Read 10941 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Here's a couple of pics of a recent Bangaldeshi TA home-delivery I ordered.  The dish on the right almost out of camera view is shown in the second pic.  This is about as good as it gets within a 3-4 mile delivery range.  These were not by any means bad taste-wise (I was rather disappointed with one), but I can easily make all of these better myself (taste, appearance, texture), and I haven

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Out of interest, can anyone guess what these dishes are?  They are all different.  I

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Out of interest, can anyone guess what these dishes are?  They are all different.  I

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Not far off Phil.  However one is a semi-dry veg side dish, according to the menu.

Time to move house, Rob.  Don't worry about the crime rate, whether the local school is up to scratch, whether you can see the Sky satellite at 28oE, or whether you are within range of BT Infinity -- just make sure there are some decent BIR T/As in the neighbourhood !

** Phil.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

One meal I wish I could produce is a chilli chicken bahar from my local TA - fantastic tasty spicy dish which I have no idea how they make! Anyone know this recipe?

Been using this recipe at the moment

Bahar-E-Chicken 1 (Curry Lounge)(CA)
Portion Tandoori Chicken
2 TSP Oil
30g Pineapple, Chopped
2 TSP Tomato Puree
4-5 Blocks Frozen Spinach Leaves
2 Blocks Frozen Spinach Puree
200g Chickpeas
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
2 Green Chillies, Sliced Vertically Or Left Whole
20g Cashew Nut Paste
125ml CA Base Gravy
1 Chef

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Not far off Phil.  However one is a semi-dry veg side dish, according to the menu.

Time to move house, Rob.  Don't worry about the crime rate, whether the local school is up to scratch, whether you can see the Sky satellite at 28oE, or whether you are within range of BT Infinity -- just make sure there are some decent BIR T/As in the neighbourhood !

** Phil.

Ha ha!  Yes, a move might help.  The dishes from left to right are: Chicken Vindaloo, Balti Chicken Tikka Shatkora, Madras Sauce, and Aloo Ghobi (I think).  The madras sauce was identical to the vinders, minus the chicken.  The shatkora tasted remarkable similar to the madras/vindaloo, with less chilli powder and a few bits of lemon peel chucked in.  The aloo ghobi was a dead ringer for the the madras/vindaloo/shatkora sauce, with no chilli/mix powder, or seasoning of any description.  To be fair the TA owner did agree this wasn't perhaps their finest hour.  The worrying part is this really is the best place near me, with maybe the exception of one other (which can also be a bit hit or miss).  On the plus side this does provide motivation to get one's own pan out of cupboard.

Rob  :)

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Unclefrank - ta for the recipe, gives a few tips of what might be in there - but deffo no pineapple, spinach or chickpeas. I've looked at the TA menu, description is "prepared with sizzler onions, ginger, garlic and naga chilli in a hot sauce". Hmmm, I have some naga pickle, might try to make something up using descriptions.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hi meggeth it's that regional thing again.
What TA is it from?

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Its from the Al Halal in Stoke on Trent - one of the better take aways in this area. I find many are quite bland and samey, but this one is pretty good.

The best curries I have ever had have been from Redcar while working away on business. There were 2 restaurants I used to use - both were quite exceptional. Never had anything as good locally in Stoke, unfortunately.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Ah, Redcar : a whole programme about it on Radio 4 today.  Blast furnace closed in 2010 after over 90 years, re-opened in 2012 under new overseas management/ownership (SSI).  Wonderful news.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes