Author Topic: Hello from another Newbie  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Jal-frenzy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello from another Newbie
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:52 PM »
What a great site - how did I not find this years back?! Grrrrr...

Hello everyone. I've been cooking curries for a number of years but my development is hindered by the fact my wife does not like spicy food (I like it hot) so have had to deviate my passion for cooking a little bit my doing other cuisines. Still cook a fair amount of curries and have been aware for a while that BIR's use base sauces (always trying to get info out of local restaurants) but have always stuck with the various recipe books I currently have which produce OK results but not close to BIR's.

To be honest I had started to venture into other Asian cuisine and more traditional/authentic Indian recipes as I'd not found recipes that could really come to close to the BIR taste but now I can with this site and I'm OVER the moon - wife is already bored of me quoting bits form the posts here!

Been browsing this site for a week or two now and am planning to do a batch of CA's base sauce first and will be making a Dhansak recipe (for me- my favorite dish) and a Korma (you guessed it for the wife and kids). I've already reviewed the recipes on the site for these and are struggling to make up my mind which - any recommendations welcome!

After that I plan on trying to get some more authentic rice dishes, it's more like rice texture I struggle with than the flavor and guess I'll need a proper rice cook but will explore the site and post in the relevant section if needed for info on what's required.

Anyways, hello and I hope I can help add a little bit at least to this board!

Mike

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Hi hannon, like you I'm quite new here (2 months), but making curries that I didn't think I would ever be able to.

I have a similar problem in that daughter doesn't like any heat, so had to cook Korma. I used CAs base, and the Korma recipe below. This was as good as the best Korma I or daughter have ever had from a restaurant or TA. It's very, very good. What really makes it is the condensed milk. I did add half a tsp of mixed spice, but it might not be necessary.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,312.0.html

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:02 AM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum, if you need any help just ask.

Offline Jal-frenzy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:04 AM »
Thanks Meggeth, I'll give that Korma a try!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Welcome dude! After trying CA, trying Taz's base. Making korma is really easy and tastes wonderful! let me know how you get on and if you need help with Korma :)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:48 PM »
CA's Dhansak recipe tastes good. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,3869.0.html

You can even see some pictures of me attempting it here. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11363.60.html

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Hi H29 , you can't go wrong with CA's recipes when you start out ... they're very concise and easy to follow .. good luck and please let us know how you get on  :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Glad you found us mate.  If only this site had been around years ago progress would indeed have been a lot quicker ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes