Author Topic: What would you do if, you held the secret to BIR?  (Read 49073 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do if, you held the secret to BIR?
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2013, 09:23 PM »

Curious if you have an updated ETA on when the ebook is to arrive.

Not as yet Zap.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2013, 09:27 PM »

Me too. Just another snake-oil salesman.

Jog on  :D

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13 AM »
sorry but seen and heard this all before now

Me too. Just another snake-oil salesman.

I can create the BIR smell and taste in my own kitchen. Someone came visit me the other day after I'd been cooking BIR the night before and the first thing they said as they walked in was "Geez, your house stinks like an Indian Takeaway". Yeah, no shit.

But there's always been one thing I can't create in my kitchen, that I describe as a 'smokiness'. I can't get it because my domestic gas hob burners don't get hot enough and I'm still waiting for anyone to prove that theory wrong.

There is no 'secret' as far as I'm concerned, merely the difference been a commercial kitchen and burners compared with a domestic kitchen. That for me is the most plausible and logical explanation for why I can't create the exact same taste as achieved in the better Indian Restaurants. My own cooking easily beats some of the average ones. So much so, I'd rather cook my own.

So I'm not holding my breath waiting for the supposed secrets this book will reveal - I'll believe it when I see it.

So many books over the years have come out claiming to provide the secret and they've all failed. With some quite prominent names too - Pat Chapman, Kris Dillon etc.

I don't see this one being any different, just another variation on the same theme.

Many a true word spoken there me thinks. I especially agree with the equipment theory and before anybody goes blabbing about ' workmen blaming tools ' I think there may also be a slight overrider to this in that I think I can get a pretty decent blast of the inner sanctum of my 5 ring burner but the sheer mess effects how long I will give something on anything that may pretend to approach BIR kitchen heat.

Ruby, trust me it is not all about the size of your knob hob, it's how you use it.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40 AM »
I can't create the exact same taste as achieved in the better Indian Restaurants. My own cooking easily beats some of the average ones. So much so, I'd rather cook my own.

That's similar to my thinking as well. I'm only interested in emulating the tastes of the better Indian restaurants because, frankly, the average one's aren't worth bothering with.

I wonder if the amount of flambe (flames) seen in BIR kitchens is even more important than the amount of heat under the pan.

©2024 Curry Recipes