Author Topic: First try with the new pressure cooker disaster!  (Read 35777 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: First try with the new pressure cooker disaster!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:01 AM »
Regarding PSI, the manual also states it works as 7 lbs but can go up to a maximum of 14 lbs. What is the PSI exactly and how does it affect the cooking and what is the recommended?

You should be able to change the weight to increase the pressure up to 14 psi. Much better.  For example, here's a set of three different-sized weights for sale on eBay. It's how you regulate/adjust the pressure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prestige-Pressure-Cooker-Set-Of-3-Weights-Spare-Parts-99513-/230918830712?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item35c3d5ba78&_uhb=1

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47 AM »
According to the manual, it comes with a +7psi weight but the maximum safe working pressure is +14 psi.  I take this as meaning that there is an intrinsic 100% safety margin.  The boiling point of water at sea level is 100oC; at sea-level + 7psi is circa 112oC; at sea level + 15 psi is circa 120oC. 

Quote from: http://www.foodarts.com/tools/kitchen-features/15566/pressurepacked-prep
As a general rule of thumb, for every 10

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Awesome, so does that mean if I buy the part that George kindly pointed out, I might be able to "overclock" my pressure cooker and be able to cook faster?

Hopefully, but you need to check that those weights definitely fit your specific model of pressure cooker.

I don't think it's akin to overclocking. 14 psi is well within the normal operating pressure. I don't know why they fobbed you off with one weight producing just 7 psi, if that's the case. It would be like buying a 2 litre car which is de-rated to produce only the power of a 1 litre car.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49 AM »
The 4 l prestige high-dome came with a 12 lb weight (I think).  Takes me about 45-60 mins of good hissing to demolish dutch onions for a c2go base.  During the last 10 mins the dark gunge appears very quickly, and I've found it better to keep checking visually how things are going, rather then relying on a change in smell.  It's a bit inconvenient (you must let the pressure down fully of course before removing the lid), but once the gunge forms it will soon start to burn, and the whole lot will be bin-bound.  I posted some pics here. 

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8189.msg80609.html#msg80609

Rob  :)   

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Here you go for anyone wanting to discover the advantages of cooking base sauce with a pressure cooker:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8614869.htm

A 6L Prestige pressure cooker from Argos, for only GBP 14.99 (on its current half price offer)

What a bargain!

Aluminium is superior to stainless steel, too.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02 PM »
14 psi is well within the normal operating pressure.

On what basis do you make that statement, George ?  Prestige, the manufacturers, say :

N.O.P. (Nominal operating pressure) - 49kPa (7 psi)
M.O.P (Maximum operating pressure) - 98 kPa (14 psi)

which is very hard to reconcile with "14 psi is well within the normal operating pressure".

Aluminium is superior to stainless steel, too.

and on what basis do you make that unsupported statement ?

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 12:09 PM »
I reconfirm my statements, whilst not wanting to get into a debate on the minutiae.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Apparently, a preoccupation with minutia is a symptom of those with Asperger's Syndrome George....I read it on the forum somewhere recently...

How may BIRs use a pressure cooker anyway?  ???
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:53 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:39 PM »
I reconfirm my statements, whilst not wanting to get into a debate on the minutiae.

Well, so long as you are happy to personally indemnify Petrolhead360 against any possible loss of life, injury, 3rd-party claims, structural damage to his home and so on from your recommendation that he run his pressure cooker at twice the nominal pressure, I can see no problem at all with your not wishing to debate the matter further.  I would recommend that PH360 gets his solicitor to draw up the necessary indemnity contract and then send it off to you for signature before proceeding with what I would regard as a clearly hazardous experiment.

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 01:20 PM »
I would recommend that PH360 gets his solicitor to draw up the necessary indemnity contract and then send it off to you for signature before proceeding with what I would regard as a clearly hazardous experiment.

Have you completely lost the plot? You seem to be ultra risk averse and over-concerned with health, safety and compensation type claims.

Perhaps I should have said that 14 psi is within the normal operating range. Hopefully one of the alternative weights will get the vessel up to that pressure. I don't know the pressure it would take for the safety device to kick in but it's almost certain to be a lot higher than 14psi. There's zero risk at 14psi in my opinion, but take H&S and/or legal advice first if it worries you.

I'd agree that using a pressure cooker like the Argos Prestige one (similar to mine) to heat oil at pressure for cooking KFC type chicken is quite risky and goes against  their safety warnings. But 14 psi with water is not risky at all, in my opinion.

Aluminium conducts heat far more evenly and better than stainless steel and is a vastly superior metal for cooking pans. Other than the 'stainless' property, that type of steel must be the worst ever for a cooking pan of any type.

I think it's highly offensive for anyone actually with such a condition, for CA to bring up his 'medical' suggestion, just to be unpleasant on this thread. He should be ashamed.

©2024 Curry Recipes