Author Topic: A heathier alternative to Vegetable Oil?  (Read 19612 times)

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
A heathier alternative to Vegetable Oil?
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:10 PM »
Been doing a bit of reading, and if I have the correct thoughts, veggy oil isn't particularly good for you - not that I suppose any oil is really. But....surely there must be healthier options for cooking curries? Obviously, a strong tasting oil would probably be no good - apparently nut type oils are better for you, but do have a stronger taste. Sunflower oil seems good, as does canola oil.

Has anybody regularly used any of these without any detrimental effects on your end curry? What are the cost comparisons? Or do you still use cheap veg oil?   

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: A heathier alternative to Vegetable Oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Hi

Leaving veg ghee out of the equation...

I personally use Sunflower oil and all my curry's are splendid :) - Sunflower oil IMHO is a very reasonable decision.

Thanks

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:21 PM »
Been doing a bit of reading, and if I have the correct thoughts, veggy oil isn't particularly good for you - not that I suppose any oil is really. But....surely there must be healthier options for cooking curries? Obviously, a strong tasting oil would probably be no good - apparently nut type oils are better for you, but do have a stronger taste. Sunflower oil seems good, as does canola oil.

I think there is a misconception here, as I have commented before.  It is simply not possible to compare "vegetable oil" with (e.g.,) rapeseed ("canola") oil because the former is generic and the latter specific.  My bottle of Tesco "vegetable oil" is, in fact, rapeseed ("canola") oil; one just needs to read the (not very) small print to learn that.  Other so-called "vegetable oils" may have a different composition : by labelling something "vegetable oil" the manufacturer is granting himself licence to make it from whatever is both vegetable in origin and low-priced at the time, unless (as with Tesco) he also states exactly of what it consists.  To the best of my belief, most UK-sourced vegetable oils today are made of rapeseed ("canola"), because of the ubiquity and cost-effectiveness of the crop, but there may well be exceptions.  So, to paraphrase Mrs Beeton", "first know your oil" before deciding whether it is healthy or otherwise.

** Phil.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:46 PM »
I use Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil from Sainsburys.
It costs about

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:58 PM »
I've used exclusively sunflower oil in curries for about 6 months now. Works well, costs the same as veg oil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Hi Meggeth,

I believe cottonseed oil is one of the better oils to use, but like Paul, I use Olive Oil for everything (except deep frying).

Cheers,

Malc.

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Ok guys. Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the economical way to go is sunflower oil then.

Light olive oil seems expensive - are the benefits that much greater that you don't mind spending around 3-4 times the cost?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36 PM »
You have to make up your own mind given what evidence is out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil#Health_effects

But I will say, there is so much anti-fat stuff circulated in society it is easy to forget that you would die if you didn't eat any oil/fat.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Sunflower oil for me. For curries anyway.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Hi meggeth

It depends upon your cooking style too!

Please use your favourite search engine for research on this subject - however it is believed there is the chance some of the properties of olive oil can turn carcinogenic under high heat.

Because I like to give it some 'welly' on the gas when I cook curry - I personally steer clear of olive oil for this purpose as it always starts smoking and I worry about the possible implications :(

Cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes