Author Topic: unlocking the taste to indian takeaway, ebook out soon.  (Read 54254 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: unlocking the taste to indian takeaway, ebook out soon.
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 12:36 PM »
book won't 'deliver all' (because no book can)
I disagree that it's not possible for a book to deliver high quality results. It depends on whether (a) the author really does have great recipes and (b) whether the author is prepared to pass those recipes on, accurately.

I didn't say anything about it not being possible for a book to deliver high quality results, George. I said that it isn't possible for one cookery book to "deliver all" (quoting the poster before me).

This applies to ALL cusines, whether Indian, French, Italian - whatever. 

No one book can tell you everything, because no one author or chef knows everything.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 11:53 PM »
sorry i have not been here.
I am working flat out here to get this book out to you guys. the book will be called.

unlocking the taste to Indian takeaway.

Its late now, tomorrow i will tell you what you will get from this book.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2013, 12:32 AM »
I disagree that it's not possible for a book to deliver high quality results. It depends on whether (a) the author really does have great recipes and (b) whether the author is prepared to pass those recipes on, accurately.

I agree.

You can see that from many of the recipes posted on this site. Mostly they're just ingredient lists, they're not recipes, because they don't tell you how to make the dish, merely what ingredients and what quantities of those ingredients go into making it. An ingredient list isn't a recipe and that's why people get such variable results.

How many here really know how to make a simple roux as used in Cajun and Creole cooking? The recipe list is simple - it's equal quantities of fat and flour, but that doesn't tell you how to make it or what different colours there are or what flavours they impart. Likewise a simple bechamel sauce, that's just as simple, it's a roux with warm milk, but making a good bechamel sauce is not easy.

People seem to think all the magic is in the ingredients. It isn't, the ingredient list is the easiest part of the recipe. It's imparting the knowledge and information as to what you do with those ingredients that's the hard part and that's the part so many people either don't bother with or don't explain properly.

I'd actually like to see a book on BIR cookery that focuses almost soley on the cookery techniques in some detail and deliberately only includes a couple of basic recipes to practice those techniques on. Once the fundamental techniques are mastered they can be adapted with equal success to any BIR style recipe you want. But if you can't master or don't understand the basic underlying techniques, it doesn't really matter what recipe you use, it won't be particularly successful.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Wise words spiceyokoko   :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2013, 03:02 PM »

Offline _Jon_

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2013, 11:19 PM »

People seem to think all the magic is in the ingredients. It isn't, the ingredient list is the easiest part of the recipe. It's imparting the knowledge and information as to what you do with those ingredients that's the hard part and that's the part so many people either don't bother with or don't explain properly.

This is 100% correct.

h4ppy-chris, do you have any videos that just keep the pan in frame, as large as possible, for the whole time? As in from the moment the ghee goes in to the pan up to the point where the dish is ready. That would be really useful.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2013, 01:37 PM »
I am working flat out here to get this book out to you guys

Does that mean that it will be available, to our forum members, for free, then Chris?

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2013, 02:03 PM »

This is 100% correct.

h4ppy-chris, do you have any videos that just keep the pan in frame, as large as possible, for the whole time? As in from the moment the ghee goes in to the pan up to the point where the dish is ready. That would be really useful.

Yes Jon.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2013, 02:04 PM »
I am working flat out here to get this book out to you guys

Does that mean that it will be available, to our forum members, for free, then Chris?

No sorry CA.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2013, 02:07 PM »
No sorry CA.

Then, you are doing it for yourself, and not for "you guys". 

And CT is correct, you REALLY should change the foot note to your avatar  ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes