Author Topic: Base Sauce  (Read 1956 times)

Offline graham.charlton18@gmail.c

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Base Sauce
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Hello all you curry guys, after all the chats and remarks we all read on the forums i would like to ask a question.
Has anyone got a proven recipe that has been voted "The best" among all you curry experts, I have tried Julians, Dipuraja 1's and have had some really good results but i feel i have still not managed to get the base as good as i feel some of you guys have.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:40 AM »
Graham I believe the short answer to your question is no. I for one am attracted to the similarities rather than the differences between bases. Onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, oil, spices, salt, water. The rest is personalising of recipes and you'll of course have noticed that peppers, carrots, potatoes, even cucumber recently all can have their part to play. Unlike some others I do not believe their is a holy grail or secret recipe that has, by conspirational means, eluded us so far.

Is it the base you think is not right, or is it your finished curries you are struggling with?

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:11 AM »
Hi Graham

As Stephen said, the answer is no really. Consensus seems in short supply around these parts as you'll notice on occasion, should you stick around ;)

But don't let that put you off, maybe it just adds to the fun that there are many recipes and variations to try. My own results improved a lot when I adopted the "dual cook" approach of Chewytikka's base, namely a first long boil, then blend, then a second simmer after spices are added. This seems to have emerged as a de facto standard in a number of the more recently posted bases such as Zaal, Little India and if I'm not mistaken Julian of C2Go uses this approach?

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:20 AM »
I think chewytikka's base and videos resemble what I've been told from a chef at my local.

it's still down to me to cook it right though, I feel there's no secret and just small diffrences like some have tinned tomatoes or coconut in the base

Offline graham.charlton18@gmail.c

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Thanks guys at least I know I  just keep going and get it to my taste and carry on taking extra tips from you guys

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:11 PM »
don't get too hung up on base sauce - there is a threshold of diminishing returns.

try chewytikka's 3 hrs base - it's not just the ingredients but the proportions, characteristics and technique.

the curry2go base is very similar to the ifindforu base which i make and rate. i've also made dipuraja's base - both pass threshold.

©2024 Curry Recipes