Author Topic: Hi from newbie also help needed.  (Read 4720 times)

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi from newbie also help needed.
« on: September 16, 2006, 07:21 PM »
Hello ;D ? to all members of this great site. I actually found it by accident while googling for onion base, it was the best accident I have had. You have all inspired me to get on the curry train and start to make my own. I have been browsing the site over the last couple of weeks and since have bought some spices to get started; I have never done anything like this before so I am a complete beginner. This afternoon I plucked up the courage to have a go at the curry base done by Ifindfora ?A Good Curry Base?, it seemed to go OK and loOKs ok, the taste is very nice but I am not really sure what the taste should be like.
Please could I ask for some advise, now that I have it in a pot what is the best method of storage and the best utensils to store it in, and what sort of proportions should it be split into.
I would like to make a Chicken Tikka Masala now that I have a base, could someone suggest an easy one for starters.

Many thanks for your help.
Dai

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from newbie also help needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 01:52 AM »
Welcome Dai :)

Ifindforu's curry base is a very good base; you can't go far wrong with it, in my opinion.  It should be only mildly spiced and taste reasonably pleasant by itself, but it won't taste much like a curry at this stage.  Remember, the curry base needs to cater for a wide range of curries, from the mildest to the hottest.  You will add more spices when you cook whichever final dish you wish to cook. 

I pour my curry base into 285ml plastic party cups, cover with tin foil or cling-film, and freeze.  I find that 285ml is approximately the right amount of curry base for one or two people (depending on what type of curry you are cooking).  It will keep in the freezer for ages (months) without deteriorating.  Similar sized sealable plastic containers (i.e. with lids) would be better however.

There are several Chicken Tikka and Chicken Tikka Masala recipes on here.  Look in the recipe index here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=415.0

This recipe for Chicken Tikka is simple and works ok http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=874.0

I suggest you try this recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=539.0

....but there are other recipes that you might also like to try of course.

Happy cooking!  :)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 04:03 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 03:13 AM »
I store most of my bases in a 500 ml units . I use Darth's base as a basis for most BIR curries & Ifindforus' for those that require a " sweeter touch " . Experiment , variate and improve according to your own personal preference....but please post your results .

Cheers ,
CC
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:08 PM by CurryCanuck »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:01 PM »
Welcome, i store my Base in freezer bags each has approximately 500/600 ml of Base Gravy.
I can't comment on bases to use as i prefer my own (so I'm biased  ;D) over all the ones Ive tried here on this site, It produces a savory Base which any Curry can be made of (even Tikka-Massala's & Korma's if you omit the Chilli powder & have indicated this is my personal addition to the Recipe in the post).

I have been advised by some that ifindforu's base isn't for me due to it being sweeter in taste, i much prefer to make all my specific Curries in the second stage, personally i believe it to be more prudent for a beginner to use a very flexible/neutral Base gravy so that it does not effect any Curry by itself, giving you the opportunity to learn quicker & giving you the best medium to learn the craft  ;D & which Spices are best for you in the second stage.

Hope this is of some help  ;)

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:23 PM »
Thank you all for your words of wisdom, i know i have got alot to learn, but there is alot of good advice on this site and i hope i can come back and contribute.
I notice that most recipes use ladles as the measure of the base, unfortunately i do not own one so would anyone know what measure a ladle is in mls.

Cheers
Dai

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 02:28 PM »
Hello Dai

I think it was generally agreed that the 'average' ladle is about 4 TBSP, so about 60ml.

YF

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Thank you Yellow fingers, i will make a note of that for future reference.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:34 AM »
Hi Dai,

Also check out this thread, where George also raises the question of ladle size....http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1114.msg9681#msg9681

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Hi Cory Ander

I have read Georges post and i agree, i am also totally confused now, it would be nice for a more accurate measure to be stated. Being a newbie and i am sure ther are more of us who would think that it is important to know the measurement of ingredients so that we can learn the basics, this then encourages to be able to move onto experimenting. At the moment i am compiling a list of all ladle sizes so that i can average them out to a usable size. :-\

Dai

Offline JB52

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 12:15 AM »
Hi Dai, another newbie here and haven't had a go at any of the curries yet - hopefully this weekend!
What I have noticed is that a lot of the recipies add one ladle of base straight after frying the spices in the oil and the rest a couple of steps down the line. Presumably this means that you should be able to get away with using a relatively small amount of base initaiily and then adding more later on (if required) to achieve the desired consistency and taste. I can't imagine that it would be that critical - especially with such a wide range of bases knocking about.
Anyway, hope this helps - here's what looks like a good recipe for CTM if you're still looking for one: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,539.0.html
If it turns out as good as it looks in these pics i don't think you'll be disapointed!
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=890.0

©2024 Curry Recipes