Author Topic: Balti(s)  (Read 12919 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Balti(s)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 01:54 PM »
I wish I liked balti curries, these pictures make me want some now!  I find balti curries always taste a bit bitter/vinegary to me. Is this the norm, or was I having them from the wrong TA?

To be honest, I would never order a Balti dish from a takeaway.  Served at the table in a balti dish, there is a fighting chance that it has actually been cooked in one; served in a foil container ?  my gut instinct tells me "no way".

** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08 PM »
If anyone remembers Turkish Delight, then that

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 02:15 PM »
The vinegar taste mentioned is almost certainly the vinegar from Pataks balti paste.

I've had balti curries that tasted like that but my local TA does a nice balti curry.

Paul

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 02:36 PM »
Thanks Phil/PaulP for your insights. I shall try it again next time I sail to the land of cockney

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 02:41 PM »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Added a tsp of kewra water .....Definitely part of the kushi balti taste, and an essential ingredient. 

Your curries look excellent.

Was it you who's actually been to the Kushi restaurant? If so, I'm envious and wish I lived nearer. Did you taste Kewra water, for certain, in their dishes?

Hi George.  Yes, that's me.  Had some great TAs from there.  I am sure there is a splosh of kewra water in the baltis.  They haven't got it right every time though.  Once, mine and the good lady's food was nearly spoiled by one of the chefs adding too much soy sauce.  I forgot to mention in the pics I posted all the dishes have a good dash of dark soy added.  I'm not sure if the kushi use this instead of salt, or as an addition, but they have definitely included it all the mains I have had from there. 

Rob  :)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 03:42 PM »
I forgot to mention in the pics I posted all the dishes have a good dash of dark soy added.  I'm not sure if the kushi use this instead of salt, or as an addition, but they have definitely included it all the mains I have had from there.

Your feedback is very interesting. I don't think they mention either of those ingredients in the book so, as good as the book is, it's probably still dumbed-down to prevent the recipes ever tasting as good as the restaurant. All that's needed, of course, is to add back what they've deliberately missed out, and if your analysis is correct, you could be on to something.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 05:23 PM »
Bit of a balti marathon there GOTG. Some beautiful looking dishes there Rob.  With a bit of notice some of the boys could have come round for a sampling ;D  Keep up the good work mate.  Never tried the Kushi base or spice mix and don't possess the ABC book either.  Time enough for that though.  Plenty to be going on with for the moment  :D

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 06:46 PM »
awesome looking grub

You seem to be getting good at the oil separation

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 09:37 AM »

You seem to be getting good at the oil separation

Yes, got the hang of it now.  It's nice because you can decide on how much of the oil gets served on the plate.  A decent slick (forming around the served curry) often makes an impressive presentation I think.

Rob  :)   

©2024 Curry Recipes